+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    @Marigold I didn't think you were slightly rude at all, just concerned. I got where you were coming from.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (20-12-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (20-12-2013),~Marigold~  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was abusing alcohol for a while in a similar manner to OP. My GP also pointed out that a daily alcohol intake in women is linked to a much higher incidence of cancer, particularly breast cancer. When I stopped breast feeding and DS was having major sleep issues I sunk back into daily drinking and have only now (after nearly 10 months) started having at least 3 alcohol free days a week. I am also much taller and heavier than OP (ok - I'm plump!) and my doctor was still very concerned about 1 to 4 drinks daily (when I pour wine, a glass is between 1 to 1.5 standard drinks)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    You can get 2 glasses out of 1 bottle? Are you drinking from schooner glasses?? Lol..

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    nah 400ml red wine glasses. They're like fish bowls!!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (20-12-2013),SpecialK  (20-12-2013),~Marigold~  (22-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I've got glasses like that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    The flu is contagious. Alcoholism can be hereditary but it is not contagious.
    I meant to write genetic but when I tried to edit the forum crashed on me so I wasn't sure it saved lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP while I think 4 glasses is excessive, I don't think there's anything wrong with a drink or two every night and actually alcohol in moderation is the way it should be enjoyed.

Id be much more concerned if you didn't drink all week but binged heavily every weekend - that is the kind of alcohol abuse we have so much trouble with in this country.

The way I see alcohol is that it is a luxury, to be enjoyed with a meal and in moderation. I drink wine most nights, one or two glasses, then I sit and have a tea or ice cream before bed. For someone to label me an alcoholic would be ridiculous.

If you feel you have a problem, then you may try gradually drinking less? And if you can do that then obviously you're ok. Alcoholics need alcohol, every day and can't stop or say, that's enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you do have a problem. There are some key things in your OP that make me think that, such as saying you depend on it and need it when stressed.

1-4 drinks is a lot to have every single day, especially if it's closer to 4 (and given your doctors reaction I'm guessing it is closer to 4?).

I'm not surprised you don't feel drunk, your body is so used to it. However, I am sure you are still impaired even if you don't feel it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Omg I could never drink wine out of those huge glasses, I would feel like I'm drinking a pint if wine! It beats me why they make wine glasses that big. Pouring half a bottle of wine into a wine glass is asking for trouble!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many people are saying that if you don't get drunk it's not a problem when the opposite is true. Tolerance to alcohol (=not feeling drunk) is actually a sign of alcohol abuse. Alcoholics have high tolerance to alcohol, just like any other drug dependence, they need more if it to feel the effects.

In my opinion you do have a problem with alcohol and it's good that you are aware of it and talking to your GP about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    what are the traits and is it passed down from generations?
    i dont binge drink. never have.never felt the need to. i do, however drink 1 -4 drinks every day. i dont get drunk, never really have unless i drink more than my usual. which i rarely get the oportunity to.

its a bit of a habit and i turn to a drink when im stressed. but never go over my limit. one drink seems to make everything ok again. 1 drink before dinner, one during an 2 afterwards. i sleep like a log.
    ive been this way for about 10 years. ive had comments from friends who "assume" i drink heavily but in fact i dont, i drink less then them when out and i can stop whenever i want to. if money forbids it, i can go without alcohol. but if i had it my way i would have an endless supply. i really enjoy a drink or 4. sometimes i depnd on it, it depends on the day i have had, other days it depends on the weather and day of the working week, who im with ect.

am i an alchoholic?
    I could have written this word for word!! So I would say no your not because I wouldn't say I am. However bear in mind that that we exceed the recommended daily allowance for women so increase our risks of a variety of health complications including cancer and liver failure, I personally have also gained a huge amount of weight as well so have been working towards a few wine free days a week and decreasing by a glass every day