+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I think you may have a problem if you can't actually go without alcohol for a week. Its one thing to say you can. You may believe you can but when it comes to the crunch your body will start doing all sorts of things. We have a neighbour who I, and many others, believe is a high functioning alcoholic. he has received a warning for turning up to work over the legal limit before. He can't go a day without drinking. If he gets till night time and he hasn't had a drink he will have sweat pouring off him, be agitated and not with it. He has admitted to not being able to sleep without having a few drinks before bed. His standard alcohol consumption each day is at least 1/3 bottle of scotch or bourbon and can easily drink a bottle in one night. He knows he drinks a lot. He won't admit to it being a problem that needs fixing. He knows he has to cut back enough during the week not to blow over at work the next day so instead of drinking half a bottle he has cut back to 1/3 bottle instead.

whether you are dependent on alcohol or not you are questioning your use. That signals there is possibly a problem. and, that they say, is the first step. Admitting you have a problem. Obviously something has triggered you to question yourself and your drinking habits. Maybe you do need to explore the possibility of an alcohol dependence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Oh and my fil died of alcohol related illness. He passed out one day and turned out he had a massive stroke. Was on life support for a week before having it turned off. Brain scans showed he had had up to 35 mini strokes in the YEARS leading up to his passing. He appeared drunk ALL the time, when in actual fact, in hindsight, a fair but of his behaviour was probably due to the effects of the many mini strokes he had been having. A mini stroke can appear as drunkenness.

My point is, if your friends think you are a heavy drinker maybe you might need a more thorough medical examination and let your Dr know what your friends have said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'm proud of you for acknowledging you MAY have a problem, even if it turns out you don't.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (20-12-2013),Mod-Myztik  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All this talk of wine makes me feel like a glass

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi littlemissmuffet. I just think if you are concerned that you might be drinking too much, then you need to not drink for one week or one month, and see how you cope. In a forum like this you will get many different answers because we will all speak from our expierences and our opinions. I would say you are heading towards alcoholism, you have said you need it sometimes, you don't like to go without, and you only limit the drinking if you have to because of money or because the children are there. Take a break and see how you manage. Marie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    No it's not, a bottle of wine is nearly 8 standard drinks! Jebus I thought I poured large glasses and I still get 6 glasses out of a bottle!
    I can get 2 glasses from a bottle of wine if I try hard enough. Depends if she's filling them to the top or pouring standard drinks. Highly doubt she's pouring standard drinks.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    No it's not, a bottle of wine is nearly 8 standard drinks! Jebus I thought I poured large glasses and I still get 6 glasses out of a bottle!
    Depends on the wine. Moscato is usually only 3.5 per bottle, yet shiraz is usually 8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (20-12-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I can get 2 glasses from a bottle of wine if I try hard enough. Depends if she's filling them to the top or pouring standard drinks. Highly doubt she's pouring standard drinks.
    Anyway it's a moot point as I'm pretty sure the OP drinks beer not wine, so her bottle of beer would have the same amount as anyone else's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (20-12-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    I agree with staying off alcohol for a week to really gauge whether you have a dependency on it.

I do think if you're drinking more than two drinks a night then that's a lot of alcohol you're consuming.

As for being questioned about your weight by a PP- that did come across as slightly rude. Most people would never ask a heavier women whether there is a reason they are carrying extra weight. I was a similar height and weight (44kg) to OP prior to having DD, and that was my normal weight. Never been on a diet in my life - for some people that is their "normal".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I am the "PP" you refer to. If you found my comment "slightly rude" then that's a shame. I made it clear that my mentioning it had everything to do with the health issues that may be surrounding her drinking. The OP brought up the fact that her doctor was very concerned after weighing her. I asked her if she thought her weight being 40kg was an issue for her as it may be very well impact on the rest of her organs as well as the alcohol. And yes, I would have asked her the same thing had she mentioned that her doctor was concerned that she was weighing 140kg.
    Is everything off limits now for fear of someone finding it "slightly rude"? She added her weight to her post I believe for a reason- perhaps to seek opinions- and I agree that it very well might be a completely normal weight for the OP; but her doctor expressed concern so I am guessing not. And I thought that point could be addressed without upset. I outlined specifically that my comment was not coming from a place of negativity but relevent to the original post.
    So over defending myself on here lately...
    OP I meant no offence.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 20-12-2013 at 13:16.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

mishh  (21-12-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    You can get 2 glasses out of 1 bottle? Are you drinking from schooner glasses?? Lol..

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

babyblu11  (21-12-2013),Bulbasaur  (20-12-2013)