+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Yes you are an alcoholic.

4 glasses a night, thats at least a bottle of wine a night.

You shouldn't need alcohol to "make everything okay again".
    No it's not, a bottle of wine is nearly 8 standard drinks! Jebus I thought I poured large glasses and I still get 6 glasses out of a bottle!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (20-12-2013),NancyBlackett  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From reading your first post, yes I'd say you are an alcoholic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Are people reading the OP? She didn't say she drinks 4 drinks every night, she said 1-4 every night. If it's 4 drinks MOST nights then yes I agree it's a problem but my dad has 1-2 glasses of wine every nights and SOME nights a couple more. Huge difference IMO, and I think some pp are making some big assumptions or misreading the OP. OP could you clarify what you usually drink? Closer to 1 or 4 on average?
    I think the part that makes the op an alcoholic (in my opinion anyway) is that she said she often depends on it. That is a huge problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post

And yes alcoholism is contagious. It's an addictive personality trait. So it's the personality trait that gets passed on rather than specifically alcholism.
    The flu is contagious. Alcoholism can be hereditary but it is not contagious.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

mishh  (20-12-2013),~Marigold~  (24-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you truly depend on having a drink then yes I would say you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but this is going to sound harsh. http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/selfassessment

There are degrees of alcohol use, abuse and dependence. Your consumption level does sound too high to be healthy. While you sound like you can still function normally at this point it can still be affecting your health. More than 14 drinks a week increases your risk of breast cancer by something like 30%. Also increases the risk of heart disease, dementia, stroke, gut, mouth, kidney, liver, ovarian, and pancreatic cancers. Oh and diabetes, the number one increasing chronic disease in Australia. And last but not least mental health problems like depression and anxiety.
    Most cancers don't show up on a normal blood test until they are far advanced. Get your pap smears, mammograms, possibly gastroscopy and colonoscopy if you have had any unusual tummy or bowel problems. Be on the lookout for symptoms like bleeding form the bowel, unexplained weight loss and night sweats. Ask your GP what they think is appropriate for your age and other health state.
    So you may not be alcoholic, yet. But way before you became bad enough to classifiy as an alcohol you are far more likely to have had some other health effect.
    Stop, now. Please, for your health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you may be a functioning alcoholic. This is where you don't show your dependence, nobody would think you'd have a problem, you don't get drunk, BUT you drink an amount daily, can't relax without your daily drink and well, the other things you mentioned. If your doctors was concerned, you are questioning, and your friends are shocked, it definitely.sounds like you need to really do something before it does become a bigger problem. I'd suggest you do as PP mentioned and.go.dry for.a.week and.see how you feel. Please notify your go first though as I.have seen first hand what can happen.if.a long term drinker goes cold Turkey.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LotusMum For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (20-12-2013),LuvLoz  (21-12-2013),Mod-Myztik  (20-12-2013),twotrunks  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I'd have to say yes as well. Functional alcoholism can be quite serious, even if it isn't having a negative effect on your life, its not good for your health. I'd also have to caution that if you depend on it in stressful times, anything major happening might push you into dysfunctional alcoholism.
    Its good that you're thinking of it now, before things get out of control You can learn new coping mechanisms for stress, and cut down your consumption to see how you go

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is an alcoholic and she would probably put a post across like this too. To her she doesn't have a problem. When we have tried to talk to her she denies it and ten she will ask her friends if they think she has a problem in a similar way. They of course say no as they only see her during the day.

She says she only has 4 a night too but they are massive glasses and she says it is to help her sleep which of course it doesn't actually she just thinks it does.

She says she doesn't rely on it but she must be home by 5pm so she can have her first glass. She doesn't think she is drunk off what she drinks but those around her can see it. She will slur her words etc.

If you drink every day and find u 'need' it for any reason rather than just wanting it then yes you have a problem.

Talk to those around u and ask how they see it. In saying that only ask if you are willing to actually hear what they have to say. You may not like the answer.

My mum still to this day says she doesn't have a drinking problem even though it destroyed her marriage and broke our family to pieces. It's very hard to see a problem like that when it is u with the problem. Alcoholism is a very cruel and nasty thing and a very hard thing to get help for.

If u can admit u have a problem get help now before it progresses which it will if left untreated.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BubbleGuppy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (20-12-2013),cluckcluck  (20-12-2013),Cue  (21-12-2013),Mod-Myztik  (20-12-2013)

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    what are the traits and is it passed down from generations?
    i dont binge drink. never have.never felt the need to. i do, however drink 1 -4 drinks every day. i dont get drunk, never really have unless i drink more than my usual. which i rarely get the oportunity to.

its a bit of a habit and i turn to a drink when im stressed. but never go over my limit. one drink seems to make everything ok again. 1 drink before dinner, one during an 2 afterwards. i sleep like a log.
    ive been this way for about 10 years. ive had comments from friends who "assume" i drink heavily but in fact i dont, i drink less then them when out and i can stop whenever i want to. if money forbids it, i can go without alcohol. but if i had it my way i would have an endless supply. i really enjoy a drink or 4. sometimes i depnd on it, it depends on the day i have had, other days it depends on the weather and day of the working week, who im with ect.

am i an alchoholic?
    I don't think you are. Plenty of people drink 1 to 4 drinks a day and can not stop there. You say you can. Also a lot of people enjoy a drink or 2 at the end of a hard day. I do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast