+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    If you were my patient and I got these details on admission, I'd put you on an alcohol withdrawal chart and monitor you for the first few days of admission to make sure you didn't withdraw.
    This.
    But it's not just a medical question; I suggest taking the quiz a PP mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask what brought this on? Why are you starting to question if your drinking too much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    i did question myself and i was honest with my gp about it. he was gobsmacked about how much i drink - and my size. i am 160cm 40gks. he did bloods to check my liver ect...it came back normal. all my bloods were normal.
    Hmmmmm, the way I see it is like this. I recently went to the optometrist to get my eyes checked. When I was there I was honest with him about the fact that I had been wearing my 30 day lenses for 6 months straight. He checked my eyes thoroughly and with a few different tests confirmed that they are perfectly fine. He told me I was incredibly lucky and that I need to start taking proper care of my eyes and removing my contacts when I'm supposed to in order to avoid problems (an example of this is a friend who did the same thing and the veins in her eyes actually started growing over the pupils to try and get to the centre of the contact lens for air!).

My point is, just because your liver has been fine so far doesn't meant that you'll be as lucky in the future. The fact that you're asking the question and you do have a family history of alcoholism is a concern. Maybe just try and cut back and find other ways to cope with stress.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think so but it sounds like you could easily cross that line. My mum is a terrible alcoholic. She doesn't sound anything like you!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with staying off alcohol for a week to really gauge whether you have a dependency on it.

I do think if you're drinking more than two drinks a night then that's a lot of alcohol you're consuming.

As for being questioned about your weight by a PP- that did come across as slightly rude. Most people would never ask a heavier women whether there is a reason they are carrying extra weight. I was a similar height and weight (44kg) to OP prior to having DD, and that was my normal weight. Never been on a diet in my life - for some people that is their "normal".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a matter of dependency. If you can go without and not feel any kind of withdrawal then no. Otherwise yes. It doesn't necessarily matter how much you drink.

And yes alcoholism is contagious. It's an addictive personality trait. So it's the personality trait that gets passed on rather than specifically alcholism.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (20-12-2013),ozeymumof5  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you are an alcoholic.

4 glasses a night, thats at least a bottle of wine a night.

You shouldn't need alcohol to "make everything okay again".

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (20-12-2013),twotrunks  (21-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all the replies but any addiction is basically definable as something that you do/consume that negatively impacts on your every day life be it family, work, financial etc.

Yes there are statements that so many drinks per day makes you an alcoholic but is it having a profound negative impact on your daily life? If not I would think you're not an alcoholic.

That being said I think you have the predisposition to become one due to the fact that you said you turn to a drink when stressed etc, plus having alcohol biological parents doubles your risk of becoming an alcoholic (believe me, I have two alcoholic parents, a deceased alcoholic uncle & grandfather).

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are people reading the OP? She didn't say she drinks 4 drinks every night, she said 1-4 every night. If it's 4 drinks MOST nights then yes I agree it's a problem but my dad has 1-2 glasses of wine every nights and SOME nights a couple more. Huge difference IMO, and I think some pp are making some big assumptions or misreading the OP. OP could you clarify what you usually drink? Closer to 1 or 4 on average?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post

And yes alcoholism is contagious. It's an addictive personality trait. So it's the personality trait that gets passed on rather than specifically alcholism.
    Sorry but that's not correct. Alcoholism is an addiction disease that can be hereditary NOT contagious.