+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default am i an alcoholic?

what are the traits and is it passed down from generations?
    i dont binge drink. never have.never felt the need to. i do, however drink 1 -4 drinks every day. i dont get drunk, never really have unless i drink more than my usual. which i rarely get the oportunity to.

its a bit of a habit and i turn to a drink when im stressed. but never go over my limit. one drink seems to make everything ok again. 1 drink before dinner, one during an 2 afterwards. i sleep like a log.
    ive been this way for about 10 years. ive had comments from friends who "assume" i drink heavily but in fact i dont, i drink less then them when out and i can stop whenever i want to. if money forbids it, i can go without alcohol. but if i had it my way i would have an endless supply. i really enjoy a drink or 4. sometimes i depnd on it, it depends on the day i have had, other days it depends on the weather and day of the working week, who im with ect.

am i an alchoholic?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's not effecting your life negatively or others around you by the sounds of it and you don't need it or are not dependant on it, so I would say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Eta just saw the last bit when you said you sometimes depend on it, I still don't think it sounds like proper alcoholic habits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To answer your first question, yes it is passed down through generations. Alcoholism is a disease and can usually be found through families. I would say you enjoy a drink like I enjoy chocolate, if you find that you can't get through the day without alcohol then you need to start to worry, but perhaps try and cut one drink out a day, it really isn't good for your liver.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't think you are from what you say. I often wonder the same about myself. I think being aware of your habits is a great start, and recognizing that you do use it as a stress release means that you can reign yourself in if you feel it getting out of control. Does your behaviour change negatively when you drink? If not I wouldn't think too much on it.

I do think that drinking every day is bad for your overall physical health, though, and it might be worth having one alcohol free day a week. I know lots of people might disagree with me on that one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To me,it doesn't sound like it. Do YOU think you have a problem?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you are. You know your limit and can stop at it, plus you say you're rarely drunk. To me an alcoholic is someone that cannot control how much they consume and are obsessed with it resulting in inebriation.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I could I'd be having a nice crisp white right now!

You say that when money's tight you can go without. Well how about having just *one* alcohol-free day a week for a month or so to prove to yourself that you are not dependent on it?

If you find during that day you are thinking about alcohol a lot more and that you are irritable or affected some other way by *not* drinking, then it could possibly mean that you have become dependent on alcohol. If you carry on as normal, and you can replace your drink with a non-alcoholic drink then perhaps you're not dependent? I don't know, I'm not an expert. But I do know about habits, my own, and sometimes I like to do without to keep them in check, and give my body a break.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you're an alcoholic. But if you think you have a problem, then you have a problem; if you feel like you rely on it too much it's worth trying to cut that dependency. There were a few months when DS was quite young that I was looking forward to my first wine of the evening a little more than I was comfortable with. Although I agree with PP, regardless of dependency all that beer really isn't good for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read you need to have 2 alcohol free nights a week to give your liver a break. When I realised I was a little too reliant on my nightly few glasses of wine I set myself a challenge to go dry totally cold turkey for a month. When the month was over I allowed myself to enjoy a few glasses again but only on weekends, I felt much better for it.