+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Danger of scans?

So I went for a dating scan this week... doctor sent me for one and I didn't think to question it, I just went. With hindsight I don't think I needed a dating scan as I knew it was six weeks, and the scan said 5 weeks 6 days! I'm regular as clockwork when it comes to periods and ovulating. Plus I don't remember having a scan this early last time.

Anyway... went for the scan, and the technician found a sac but couldn't find the embryo. That doesn't worry me. It might just be too small to be found yet. What worries me is that he looked and looked and looked and tried different angles, looked some more, and got a second technician in as well for another look. We were there for ages. And I remember thinking - ooo - feels nice and warm on my tummy.

Only now (thanks google!) am I starting to worry about the *possible* damage that all that longer-than-usual scanning might have done.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

This thread (haven't read it all) freeks me out:
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...wedish-studies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    theres no danger. don't worry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    You will note in that thread that the OP never posted the study.

As I noted in the thread I ended up having nearly 30 scans during my pregnancy. I'm typing this one handed as my perfectly healthy 4 month old DD sleeps in my arms. there are plenty of things to worry about when pregnant, scans aren't one of them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2013),Purple Lily  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ultrasounds are completely safe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember that thread. The studies were never posted. There are a lot of studies showing us to be safe.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't let that thread upset you. The OP came in just to post that - it was a new poster. No links, nothing to back it up, and everyone else refuted the claims she/he was making. No credibility at all.

Please try not to worry, ultrasounds have not been proven to cause any problems and are used extensively.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a scan every week from 6 weeks to 34 weeks... My DD is now 16 and heading into Year 11.... Scans aren't harmful Good luck xxx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ultrasounds have NOT been shown to be completely safe. There are reputable sources who have concerns about the number of ultrasounds being performed. However, ultrasound can also be a valuable tool.

Your care provider should have explained the benefits and risks of ultrasound before sending you, particularly at an early gestation where the ultrasound may not show much (as you found out).

I wouldn't stress too much about the ultrasound you had, plenty of women have them every day. It is good that you have started questioning what is necessary though, during pregnancy, labour and parenting we are offered so many options, and not all are mandatory, needed or helpful.

http://www.sarahbuckley.com/ultrasou...e-for-concern/

best wishes for a healthy 9 months.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-12-2013),debsch  (20-12-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (20-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With both DS1 and DS2 I was having to have ultrasounds every second week and they are both healthy and happy, as for the early scan every pregnancy is different with DD I had no dating scan so was shocked the dr sent me for one with DS1 but I was at the end of 5 weeks with him and there was only a sack and fetal pole so they re scanned 2 weeks later and there was a healthy jelly bean with a strong heartbeat. With DS2 they sent me for a scan immediately due to my history of miscarriages before him and all the was there was a sack and I was 5w3d they re scanned a week later and again there was a healthy bean with very strong heart beat.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

debsch  (22-12-2013)