+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I consider gas a drug also.

I had gas, peth and epidural with DS1
    Epidural with DS2 and finally drug free with DS3, not by choice! I was halfway through them placing the epidural when he came out, in a hurry.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    so what is classed as a natural birth? to me is a vaginal birth but I know some say its no drugs... just curious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with above.

Dd1 I had an epidural (not by choice).
    Dd2 I but on the mouth piece of the gas but the machine wasn't turned on at all
    Dd3 was in too much of a hurry to do anything.

So dd2 and 3 were both completely drug free births.

Eta- I say a natural birth is the same as a drug free one. It doesn't feel right to me personally saying natural is the same as vaginal, to me it feels like its taking away something for those who have c/s.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

BlackDiamond  (24-01-2014),MrsHoward  (25-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked in a medical profession and we never used the term 'natural birth/delivery' because it is such a subjective term. To some it means vaginal, to other people it means drug free (and as the OP has perhaps pointed out, some people might not be classing gas as a drug?)

We would say "....born at x weeks gestation via vaginal/c-s delivery with x,y,z (drugs) administered during labour..."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-01-2014),MissMuppet  (19-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gas = nitrous oxide = a drug. So, no, you can't say 'drug free labour' if you had gas

When I say that my labours were drug free, I mean exactly that, they were free from drugs. Any drugs.

Edit - to me, natural means vaginal. Because a vaginal birth is natural. A c-section is not natural (that's not to say it's bad or wrong, it just is what it is. No offence intended). You can have a natural drug free birth, or a natural birth where pain relief was used. But I understand these terms are usually rather subjective to the person.
    Last edited by Lillynix; 19-12-2013 at 09:25.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (25-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say it meant no gas too, but that said I thought the gas was terrible. It did nothing and made me want to throw up. Everything else they gave me did nothing either until the Epi which was bliss .
    This time we are having a c section, but if we weren't I'd go an epi again in a heartbeat [I've never cared about having a drug free birth either though ].

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I consider gas a drug, if the labour is induced its not drug free (cos induction usually involves drugs), a managed 3rd stage (injection to help the placenta come quickly) is also not a drug free labour.

A natural labour is a physiological labour - no induction, no drugs, membranes not broken artificially, mum allowed to move as she needs to, vaginal birth, physiological 3rd stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Drug free is having absolutely nothing. Not even gas.

A natural birth to me is a vaginal delivery.

A natural drug free birth to me is a vaginal delivery with no drugs of any kind.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A natural birth to me is a drug free vaginal birth. I had vaginal births but I wouldn't say they were 'natural'.

Its interesting hearing others definitions

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-12-2013),MrsHoward  (25-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually, I change my definition. I would say a natural birth would be a vaginal delivery with no intervention.

As I wouldn't consider episiotomies or forceps deliveries to be natural as such. I can imagine that would be scary for the mother and not quite a natural experience.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-12-2013)