+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

Default Car sickness in young children.

Another thread reminded me of something I wanted to ask. Have any hubbers had to deal with car sick toddlers? DS2 has just turned two and has always been a bit car sick, but now every time we travel more than an hour - an hour and a half he gets sick repeatedly. We live rurally so travel to the city (three hours) on a very regular basis, it will increase to up to once a week in the New Year.

All our GP and pharmacist have suggested is Phenergen (sp?) but I don't know how I feel about that, and surely it's not healthy to be drugging him on a regular basis?

Any words or wisdom or tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I heard putting a cotton ball with a few drops of peppermint on it in the air vents works really well. Apart from that, keeping the Car well ventilated is all I can suggest.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I had chronic car sickness as a kid really really bad. One word kwells - i have tried everything the wrist straps the rubber thing hanging from the car, everything. Kwells was and is my saviour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What is kwells?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kwells are chewable motion sickness tablets, they really are great. I take kwells and use the acupressure bands when I fly and I usually feel fine for the whole flight, when previously I spent the the flight either throwing up or trying not to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest daughter has always got car sick , she started when she was a toddler and even on short trips she is sick. I keep vomit bags in the car to save a bit of the mess. Kwells are motion sickness tablets that cannot be taken under the age of 2 , they have some side effects so talk to your chemist before giving them to a child. I am going to give the peppermint oils try , I saw a surgeon the other day give a patient ( a young girl) a swab ( a small sterilizing cloth) and he stuck it in her nose and her nausea stopped straight away so I am keen to see if the oil works aswell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get his eyes tested. Preferably by a behavioural optometrist.....it's one of the first questions we ask parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Ooh, I just had a look, and they say ok for 2 years plus. Dosage is a quarter of a tablet - what do they taste like? Just thinking about getting them into him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just come to the realisation my youngest gets car sick! I did as a child so no wonder. I find if she's in the middle seat in the back it's not as bad.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAELEEJANE View Post
    Get his eyes tested. Preferably by a behavioural optometrist.....it's one of the first questions we ask parents.
    This is interesting...my dd gets car sick and she has problems focusing from short to long vision.