+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spew Blues

I have a bad case of them my 4 week old DD spits up after every feed, usually several times. It started about 2 weeks ago and it's starting to drive me nuts, I'm constantly changing bedding and clothes.

It's not projectile, just spills out and not in great amounts. Doesn't seem to bother her, she doesn't cry or look uncomfortable so I don't think that it's reflux. She's BF so maybe it's something to do with my diet? Has anyone else found that? She seems to latch fine but does eat rather quickly so maybe it's just air and she's a spewy baby, hope she grows out of it soon.

Anyone else have experience with this, how did you get by without going nuts?!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you just kinda get used to it....never wearing plain dark coloured clothing, constantly smelling sour milk, endless washing, bub getting a rash in their little fatty boombah neck folds from constantly being milk wet....

DS was a bit the same at first but it did stop. Their gastro-oesophageal sphincter (the ring of muscle between oesophagus and stomach) is very immature at first and just opens and closes randomly all the time letting the milk in and out. For the majority of bubs the spilling gets better with time.

Good luck, go buy some bulk Omo xx.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-12-2013),bundun3  (18-12-2013),dancingchipmunk  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a thought, as I'm no expert as my 6w old DD doesn't spit up at all. But have you tried keeping her upright for 15-20 after a feed?
    Or she she still puke up upright?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

bundun3  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My third was a happy chucker - terry flats used as spew rags were my best friend, I constantly had one over my shoulder. He grew out of it eventually but at two, he gets car sick and we live rurally so are always in the car - can't escape the vomit!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

bundun3  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 happy-chuckers (great term missy) - both chubby bubbas so not missing out on anything. They could vom an hour after a feed, infact 10mo DS can vom after having a 2 hour nap, 4 hours since a feed. He is worse now I've stopped bf'ing.
    4yo DD still chucks/heaves after a big crying/tantrum session.
    DH is a sympathetic chucker so I blame him!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

bundun3  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter vomited so much as a younger baby. It wasn't until she started solids at 6 months that she finally stopped chucking all the time. Some days, she would vomit up to 15 times! Hang in there OP, hopefully it will get easier for you as bub gets older :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

bundun3  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies. I did just try feed her upright but she still spewed right after, I think I just need to accept and embrace the fact that I have a happy chucker on my hands. She is putting on weight and feeding plenty so that's good at least.

She has a rash on her fatty boombah neck at the moment, the Perth heat doesn't help. I've been using flannels as spew rags but cloth nappies are a great idea, I'll have to pick some up.

Thanks again for the advice, I feel much better now

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the neck rash I've been putting a tiny smear of Sudocream in DS's neck crease, it works wonders, cleared the rash up in a day and has definitely kept it at bay.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

bundun3  (20-12-2013)