+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I agree it's a crappy attitude, and I fully support bfing in public, at home, where ever. They sound pretty stupid. But tbh, I disagree with the above, in fact in my experience bfing is far more supported and considered positively than formula.
    Yep, bottle feeders get the same disapproval. Usually from people who don't have kids yet. I remember (formula) bottle feeding DD at a friend's baby shower and a colleague who doesn't have kids said "oh, your using a bottle. But that's expressed milk, right?". I used to think that way before kids too. All these ignorant people will (hopefully) learn when it's their turn to nourish a child!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would have told them what I thought. They are never going to change if no one challenges them to open their eyes.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-12-2013),babyla  (18-12-2013),btmacxxx  (18-12-2013),CMF  (18-12-2013),dancingchipmunk  (18-12-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (29-12-2013),giggle berry  (18-12-2013),LoveLivesHere  (18-12-2013),ourbradybunch  (18-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP - it makes me sad too.

I remember feeding my DD in front of my sister and her DH prior to them having children and my sister having a go at me about it afterwards.

They now have two gorgeous DDs of their own and my sis BFs (extended) everywhere and good on her too.

Sometimes I think it's lack of experience/exposure, so I would just encourage everyone not to be put off by ignorance but just to go about BF as though it is nothing out of the ordinary (which is true!). I truly think that is the best way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am shocked by so many attitudes I've encountered as a BFing mum. There is still such a long, long way to go before it's fully accepted as a way of feeding a child and not just flashing your t!ts for the fun of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to offer a different perspective. I am a very modest person and uncomfortable bf in public places so will often avoid it where possible eg find parent room, go in car, use cover etc. however I have great admiration for women who feed in public and wish I could do that without feeling so selfconscious.
    Anyway, when I was at a friends place, we were both bf our babies. Her husband was home and in the same room and talking to us. I didn't say anything but I did feel really uncomfortable and in my mind was hoping he would go to another room. So I guess this is kinda the reverse situation, maybe those guys just felt uncomfortable seeing a friend's bbs?? Do they have kids? Maybe when they become parents their attitude will change. I know with dh his attitude changed after having kids.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    So I guess this is kinda the reverse situation, maybe those guys just felt uncomfortable seeing a friend's bbs?? Do they have kids? Maybe when they become parents their attitude will change. I know with dh his attitude changed after having kids.
    But they don't have to look. They were watching a movie. They can decide where their eyes land.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-12-2013),SoThisIsLove  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I just want to offer a different perspective. I am a very modest person and uncomfortable bf in public places so will often avoid it where possible eg find parent room, go in car, use cover etc. however I have great admiration for women who feed in public and wish I could do that without feeling so selfconscious.
    Anyway, when I was at a friends place, we were both bf our babies. Her husband was home and in the same room and talking to us. I didn't say anything but I did feel really uncomfortable and in my mind was hoping he would go to another room. So I guess this is kinda the reverse situation, maybe those guys just felt uncomfortable seeing a friend's bbs?? Do they have kids? Maybe when they become parents their attitude will change. I know with dh his attitude changed after having kids.
    If they were uncomfortable they should have not looked, or gone to another room.....weren't they supposed to be watching a movie? Why were they looking at her feeding anyway if they were that uncomfortable?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I can honestly say that I have never experienced any type of discrimination/rude comments etc while breastfeeding. Perhaps it's because those that know me aren't game (they know I would rip their heads off!). As for strangers perhaps I just don't notice because I don't care. Or perhaps people nowdays are more understanding (I think they are).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hate these attitudes, I get really feisty when I hear comments like that! I wish someone would dare give me beans while I'm feeding my baby!!

However I don't think it's a judgement free situation if she'd pulled out a bottle either!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter how you feed, nappy, settle, raise your child. There's always some sort of ninny with an opinion and attitude about it!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

laray  (29-12-2013),LoveLivesHere  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been tutted at, told that "there are rooms for that", "you should use one of those capes" (Why? I'm not a superhero?). People are strange sometimes and I just ignore them, but it does knock your confidence a bit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (18-12-2013)