+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Absolutely flabbergasted please tell me if I was in the wrong

I'm in shock...i was at the shops with DS who is 2 in my 4 month old. After shopping I let my son go on the high five ride its a bit like a carousel ride with 3 'horses ' on it and goes around for $2

After it started 2 little girls jumped on. I don't mind I already paid and my DS like laughing at the girls.

Anyway when it finished my DS looked at me with his puppy eyes and asked 'more more' so I dropped another $2 in and the girls stayed on maybe aged 4 and 6.

I stood right next to the ride as my DS is little and the mother and father were about 50m away sitting on some couches.

Anyway when it started again the girls started jumping around and climbing over the ride. I thought it was a bit dangerous and said 'are you sure that is safe - maybe you should sit down' but both girls continued and I looked at the parents and they were watching so I assumed they were ok.

Anyway the girl about 4 fell off and hit her head - the parents came rushing over and after picking her up started telling me off.

Saying I was the 'supervising adult' and I should have known better. That it was irresponsible of me to put another coin in without checking with them. That they were running late now cause of me and said to the other daughter that 'because of this lady they weren't going to Amy's party'

I was shocked... I basically said that I put the money in the ride for my son only and was supervising my son only and their kids was their responsibility. I walked away with my mouth open to them yelling behind me 'that's right hurt our kid and walk away' everyone was looking at me like I was a monster and when I looked back they were talking to security an pointed at me - I was waiting for the guard to tackle me.

I will point out that I waited around to make sure the girl was ok she was coherent and had stopped crying. But the yelling and the parents looked a bit 'rough' so I was a bit worried for an altercation and there was nothing I could have done.

So I need to know was I responsible - should I have made the girls sit down even though the parents were watching? I'm so confused and I know there are a range of opinions on here and so I am really curious...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow you poor thing that would have been horrible. It absolutely isn't your fault and you have no reason to feel bad. No one is responsible for someone else's kids especially not strangers at the shopping centre. Obviously they know they were in the wrong and wanted to take it out on you. Don't worry about them

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (23-12-2013),Me&Smooches  (23-12-2013),Missy RJ  (18-12-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (23-12-2013),snowqu33n  (18-12-2013),Starfish30  (23-12-2013),waitsee  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They are nut jobs. You did nothing wrong.

5. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (23-12-2013),BlueLips  (18-12-2013),hangingupsidedown  (18-12-2013),HappyBovinexx  (18-12-2013),Jessie02  (18-12-2013),Me&Smooches  (23-12-2013),meljemillie  (18-12-2013),MrJones&Me  (18-12-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (23-12-2013),Raising Leprechauns  (18-12-2013),SHAELEEJANE  (18-12-2013),smallpotatoes  (18-12-2013),snowqu33n  (18-12-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-12-2013),Starfish30  (23-12-2013),Stretched  (18-12-2013),veggiemama  (23-12-2013),waitsee  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate when this happens. If my DD is on a ride and others jump on, then theres not much I can do to stop them, but I never put in more money for a second ride. In your situation I probably would have told the girls they needed to sit down, but again you cant force them to. Those children werent your responsibility, the parents shouldnt have let them run off to the ride. I probably would have waited and spoken to the security guard myself and explained my point of view, but its hard when you feel other people are being threatening towards you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You did nothing wrong. They were watching, they could of advised their kids to behave properly or get off the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luminary For This Useful Post:

Missy RJ  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Far out! You did the right thing and to be honest they would have looked absolutely ridiculous with how they reacted. I feel for you...that would have been terribly humiliating Sounds like they were taking it out on you for their fail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What absolute idiots. I think you would be hard pressed to find a single person who would think they were in the right.

Sorry that happened to you. I know it will be hard but please try to shake it off and put it down to them being utterly ridiculous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, you are the supervising adult... Of your own child.

Nut jobs OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The girls only started jumping around after i started it again - i probably would not have if they were.

I only started it again for my DS not for the girls - sadly I thought the parents might have been a bit greatful that their kids were getting free entertainment at my expense.

Gah I can't stop thinking about it - I wish I had of told them to get off their fat asses and take care of their own kids.

Sorry seem to be going from shock to anger.

Obviously they thought since I was standing their that alleviated their parental responsibility!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't. The children would have been upset if you'd asked/told them to get off and instead you were doing something nice and got a guilt trip instead.

You did nothing wrong. You are not responsible for "supervision" of some strangers children in a busy supermarket. That's their parents responsibility. Especially at a busy time like Christmas!