+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 10 Year olds attitude sucks!

Ok, he's 10 years old. Thinks he knows everything.
    Doesn't want to lift a finger to help anyone, ONLY when he wants to.
    Says things like "Am I getting paid to do that job?",, "Well im not doing it"

Always grumpy, extremely moody,
    70% of time really moody,
    30% of time, happy kid.

Doctor says he's not sleeping well because of bad sinuses. Now we have him on meds to fix this problem and hopefully he sleeps better.

Is this normal for a 10year old or does he need a gigantic kick up the backside to pull him into line?

On the flipside he can be a really good kid, big heart etc.

Oh another thing, he wants to BUY everything and when he can't buy it he withdraws. We don't give in to his behaviour.

Eventually when he buys whatever it is he wants he hates it after a few days, has no respect for it, says he doesn't want it anymore and wants something else.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine is like this too (not hating what he buys but losing interest in it)

But everything else is 100% except he only just turned 9!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think he needs a bit of a kick up the backside. Everyone does chores around the house without getting paid for it. You do his washing and cooking (I presume) and dont get paid for it. He needs to learn to appreciate you and his dad and realise veryone in a household has a role to play. If his attitude is like this now, I can only imagine it getting worse if he isnt called up on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mayb e explain to him and all of the other children that if you live in a house with others and or with a family you all need to do your fair share. Ask them how they would feel if they had to do all the household chores for everyone ( make a list). Then tell them when you care about others you consider their feelings, then list ways in which you care for them because you love them.
    Then ask everyone one thing they do for others that is caring and kind.

Then get everyone to help organise a chore chart. Pls come together at the end of the week and discuss what the nice thing (not just ascribed chores) they did for another in the house hold. Plus take note of any positive behaviour and praise it up.

Also try vitamins and setting strict bedtimes during the week.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tell him he is getting paid for it- by you feeding him and providing for him. If he kicks up a stink, tell him well- we'll go chore for chore then bucko. You do me a chore and I'll cook you dinner- his chore first. Give him some pre-warning, like maybe an hour before your due to drive him to school, say- so "I suspect you are expecting me to take you to school- what are you going to do for me then? If he says "I don't know"- suggest that he could put the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher, or you could feed the dog. He'll probably get really sick of it and realise how much you do do for him and relent sooner rather than later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DP has a 10 year old boy, and he has none of those issues. He's actually the most helpful and happy of our 5 kids (DP has 3 boys, I've got a boy and a girl). He's expected to help around the house without being paid and he does so with enthusiasm most of the time. Sorry to say but it does sound like your son needs a bit of a reality check!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi orsumdad, who is the role model for the 10 year old. too many movies where the man of the house just gets what he wants and does what he wants. ? I think a bit of a reality check is good idea. Most households run with equal share of the duties, those that dont usually have a lot of tension and fights. I like to idea of listing what you do for him, and see just what he does for you or the rest of the household. I don't like the moodiness. Could there be some hormones going around which trigger mood swings. ? I would be really trying to find some balance with him before he gets any older. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think that if a child is raised knowing that everyone in the house is responsible for the chores then it shouldn't be a problem. Was he always taught to help out? or have you only recently began enforcing these rules?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about the family in nz where the children were acting in the same manner as your son so they cancelled Christmas. Maybe you could all volunteer at a homeless shelter to show him that so many children don't get all these wonderful things he gets in life. But chores are to be equalled up so everybody gets the idea that nothing grows on trees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who are his main role models? Was an expectation set and followed through regarding chores from a young age? Was he disciplined appropriately when misbehaving from a young age?

Are there any underlying medical reasons he could be unsettled, e.g. food allergy, behavioural issue?