Thanks
    Reviews

Default Income Tax Bill

Just wondering if there is anything I can do avoid the ATO hunting me for income tax. I've been a stay at home mum for 12 months now. Because I earned too much prior when I was working I did qualify for any baby bonus or any assistance at all. I have no income now for 12 months and am getting no government assistance. However the ATO debt collectors are now after me to pay $9,000. $4k for each of the 2 quarters finished in this financial year so far. My tax agent says I must pay. Then when I put in a zero tax return in July 2014 I may get it back!!! Can they honestly get away with this? I stay at home, I have no income!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If paying your tax debt will cause you serious hardship;

1. You may apply to be released from some tax debts if paying the debt will cause you serious hardship. Serious hardship is when payment of the debt would leave you unable to provide food, accommodation, clothing, medical treatment, education or other necessities for yourself or your family, or other people for whom you are responsible.

2. You will need to complete an application for release form and provide supporting documentation showing how payment of the tax debt will cause serious hardship.

The ATO will take into account your individual circumstances when considering your application. You should ensure that any outstanding tax returns and activity statements are lodged before you send in your application. The ATO may grant a full release, a partial release, or to refuse release.

I trust you find this information helpful. Please call Debt Fix for any further assistance on 1300332834

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not really that we'll be in extreme hardship more the point that they are taxing me incorrectly! How can you charge me for income tax on an income of $0.00? Surely there are thousands of stay at home mums in Australia who have no paid job. Am I the only unlucky one to get taxed? Is there a complaints section for ATO? If I try to search for one I get "page not found" or "no results". Charming way to treat us mums raising your next tax payers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you dispute amount you have been taxed, you can always request a review (call 132866). In this case you will need to explain to the ATO why you believe their assessment is incorrect and provide evidence as to support your claims. If the ATO review the tax again and arrive at the same conclusion, and you remain unsatisfied, you can apply for an independent external review.

You did mention you were working before you had a baby. Could it be the tax debt relates to that period of time? If so, unfortunately the ATO will not take into account your present day circumstances when calculating income tax payable for a past period.
    I say “unfortunately” because people’s situations change and the ATO and debts that were once affordable often become unaffordable when peoples positions change.

As I said before, if your current situation doesn’t allow you to adequately meet the ATO’s repayment expectations, there are options available to you. Please consider calling Debt Fix to run through some of these options (obligation free).