+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default when do most people have first scan?

I am currently 6/7 wks pregnant and have been told to book in for a scan in mid January. I have read posts and information of people having scans much earlier than this for exampe at 8 wks. What is the norm?
    many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With ds I knew exactly when af was due so didn't have an early scan, just booked for the nt scan at 12 weeks. I did end up cramping at 9 weeks so had an emergency ultrasound at the hospital.

With my next 2 pregnancies I was pretty sure of my dates, but I told the gp I didn't know so that I would get an early 'dating scan'.

There is no need to have one earlier unless you are unsure of your dates, but it can be tough waiting so long to see that blob!

*Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Even though I was pretty sure of dates, doc wanted to make sure all was were it should be so we had a scan at nearly 8 weeks then the nt scan at 12 weeks

♥me & him = ds 17/9/2013♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I knew my dates however the Dr wanted to send me off for a dating scan anyway, so I didn't object! Turns out at the first scan I wasn't even measuring 5 weeks so had to go back the following week where we saw a heartbeat, I think I was 5 weeks 6 days at that scan. Then next one at 13 weeks, then another at 19, then another at 32 to check on my placenta (had a low lying placenta at 19 week scan), then at 40+6 to make sure things were still ok to let me wait a few more days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was pretty sure of my dates too but i had a dating scan at seven weeks. Mine was a natural pregnancy after many years of trying and IVF so there was no way I could wait until twelve weeks. It was so reassuring to see the heartbeat at seven weeks.
    All the best for your pregnancy.

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    As DD is was IVF my first ultrasound was at 6 weeks and then 12 weeks!

Congratulations!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is starting to seem the norm to have a dating scan even if you know dates.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With my first 2 I only had the 20 week scan. With #3 I had the 20 week scan o/s so my ob made me get another one when I got back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had a few scans but mostly due to issues. Our first was at 7 weeks as they were thinking ectopic, then a couple more due to bleeding.

When I phoned up to book in our appointment though through the hospital they booked me in at 10 weeks. Maybe they are putting it in January due to Xmas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some people have what's called a 'dating scan' around the 6-8 week mark if they are unsure of their dates, either by last menstrual period or ovulation, and so this gives the women and care providers an estimate of how far along the pregnancy is.

If you know roughly how far along you are, you don't really need a dating scan, instead, the next 'routine' scan would be around 12weeks for the Nuchal Translucency test, which is where they check for foetal abnormalities such as Downs Syndrome. This test is usually coupled with a blood test, but neither test is required.

Then, there's the 20 week 'morphology' scan, where they look more in depth at organs, baby's size and make sure everything is well.

What scans you have is ultimately up to you. I had all three scans in my first pregnancy, plus a growth check at 36 weeks in the Obs office. With my second pregnancy, I had the 12 and 20 week scans only. With my third pregnancy I only had the 20 week scan. With my fourth pregnancy there was a bleeding scare, so I had a 7 and 9 week scan, and then my 20 week scan.

I hope this helps answer your question