+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default fish oil/omega 3 suppliment for kids?

my kids wont eat fish. ive tried everything. im worried they are not getting enough omega 3.
    Over all they are great eaters and have a wonderful varied diet. it just doesnt contain any fish.

are there suppliments for omega3 and fish oil for kids? or other foods which contain it that i can try to offer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are gummy fish oil supplements which taste like lollies.
    We have a similar circumstance. None of us eat much fish. Fish oil is really beneficial to mental development as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    do they come in liquid form for a 1yr old though? He has just been weaned from formula. he wont eat those gummies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Green leafy veggies and flax seed oil are great for omega 6 and most veggies/ fruits /seeds and nuts are good for omega 3 - I splash flaxseed oil over his veggies and put chia seeds in everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we had our first paed appt (6 weeks post partum), the paed suggested using some of the liquid fish oil in the kids food.
    He was specifically speaking of Melrose fish oil which adults use, but of a lower dose.
    You could try using some fish oil liquid. Chat to the chemist and you could mix it in food or in a drink.
    I know when I was taking it, it was something like 20 ml and to float it on some fruit juice. It wasn't the most pleasant experience as it was oily, but not overly fishy. A quick chaser of a fruit juice was required by myself!
    You should be ok mixing it with some food.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (18-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Green leafy veggies and flax seed oil are great for omega 6 and most veggies/ fruits /seeds and nuts are good for omega 3 - I splash flaxseed oil over his veggies and put chia seeds in everything!
    i have flaxseed meal that i add to their cereal but dont know if that's a 'serving' or RDI? i dont know how much they should be getting. They eat plenty vegies.
    I buy omega 3 fortified bread - im a bit conflicted on it though.

i just wish they'd eat a piece of fresh salmon! i love the stuff! wont even eat in in sushi plus fish is expensive and i hate to waste.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 18-12-2013 at 20:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What about salmon sausage rolls? My friends son won't eat salmon but will eat my salmon sausage rolls! Or try maple salmon ( just brush on maple syrup) or teriyaki as its sweeter and they may prefer it?

Also buy grass fed meat , you will get more lamb grass fed than beef and it will have more omegas than grain fed meat plus add chia seeds to pizza , salads, pasta, even muffins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried different fish like flat head or whiting. Cut into strips and crumb like nuggets. Fish patties, fish pasta bakes? I am not a huge fan of vitamins for kids unless they absolutely need it..... Just my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have not tried the sausage rolls - could you please share your recipe?i think its the texture and smell, ive tried all varieties of fish and tried to mix it in their fav foods, cooked in all different ways, marinades to disguse the flavour but they get a taste and spit it straight out and wont eat the meal.
    No they wont eat fish fingers home made or store bought. but they eat chicken nuggets!

i too do not like giving vitamins but i feel they are missing out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just get a boneless , skinless salmon fillet and put it through my mincer / you can easily just chop it up and pulse it in a food processor , then add lemon zest, pepper, chopped chives , chia seeds, 1 egg and if it's a bit wet add some breadcrumbs - then just mix it and make like normal sausage rolls! ( roll in puff pastry and bake in oven for about 15 mins )
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 19-12-2013 at 14:55.