+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Using a routine but still BF or rocking to sleep?

I seem to be constantly in the sleep section again with DS2 :/

I'm still having a rough time with his sleep. He's now 5 months old and I'm struggling to get him to 'self-settle' at all. For a while he was waking 2 or 3 times a night but falling asleep after a quick feed, but the last few days he's waking up many many more times than that. Co-sleeping doesn't seem to help at all. Day naps are usually catnaps, after being rocked to sleep. I find it really hard to settle him in the cot for naps as it takes too much time and my 3yo DS1 also needs attending to during the day. I've realised DS2is probably getting overtired which is making him even harder to settle.

ANYWAY, after that long essay my question is this: has anyone used a routine/schedule to help an overtired baby to get better/more sleep but still using rocking or breast feeding to settle them? I'm thinking if I can get a good pattern of sleep first and he has a bit more of a predictable routine, then I can gradually wean him off the rocking/BFing. But I'm not sure if I'm so sleep deprived that it seems like a good idea but really it's a stupid one...!

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds like exactly what we used to do. We went to sleep school when DD was about 6 months old and they told me to stop feeding her to sleep abs helped us get in a routine. When we got home we started feeding to sleep again. It was just so much easier, and a great sleep cue. I could have let her self settle but the 15 mins sitting down feeding relaxed both of us

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any specific tips for you as it all seems so long ago for me (!!), but both of my boys were in a routine, and one was rocked to sleep, the other was bf'd to sleep.
    So, yes, it works.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd is rocked to sleep and is in a routine. Start by waking at the same time everyday and making the first nap the same time everyday.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (16-12-2013),loulou21  (19-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you thank you thank you everyone, this is music to my ears! I've been feeling such pressure to make sure DS settles in the cot and I just keep failing miserably and feeling terrible about myself. I'll try implementing a bit of a schedule for him to see if that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boy is one and we still feed to sleep every night and during the day too sometimes. If he isn't that tired at night he doesn't go straight to sleep and I just lie next to him until he drops off. No rocking or talking or patting, just me pretending to sleep.

Oh and he was also a cat napper. No more than 20 minutes at a time - ARRG! But now sometimes it can be an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. But yesterday it was one half hour at noon.... so I guess his sleeps are changing again.

A routine can be wonderful, and I'm very envious of mums with bubs that go done like clockwork for 1-2 hours twice a day. But our boy's not like that. I guess his sleep depends sometimes on what we do during the day. A dull day = not a lot of sleep and a restless night. A busy/exciting day (even if it is just an hour at the beach!) equals a rare night where he actually SLEEPS THROUGH!

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 5 months we pretty much did whatever it took to get DD to sleep which ended up being bf to sleep and co sleeping. For naps, she was usually in the Ergo. She is nearly 2 now and still bf to sleep at night and co sleeps but only stirs once or twice during the night for a quick feed. When she and we are ready, we will night wean her.

Do whatever gets everyone sleep and feels right for you!