+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain I'm going through the same thing. When at home I use several techniques I laugh or I mimic him and sometimes I take him to a mirror so he can see how ridiculous he looks this makes him laugh then we move on, if that doesn't work I walk away or shun him which he hates but gives me some peace Occasionally it goes on for half hour or so I can get cranky and yell this sometimes works too. When out I usually ignore him, most people have been in this situation before. I will say that I will have no problem in getting down on the floor and throwing a tanty myself if it will shut him up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JodiW For This Useful Post:

HLE  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was a terrible terrible tantrum thrower, with the screaming and the kicking and the throwing herself on the ground. I could do NOTHING to calm her. I would just have to pick her up and continue along my not-so-merry way, not reacting or talking to her at all, and not looking any passer-by's in the eye. Basically I just had to put myself in my own little world, and just ride out the screaming.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HLE  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of notice works for my kids. For my 2.5yr old, I use 10mins, 5mins and 2mins warnings for any outing so he isn't taken by surprise. He still doesn't like it, but he gets less upset. You could also try using a circular route so you're not "turning back", IYKWIM?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynken For This Useful Post:

HLE  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing I do with my son which I think helps to prevent tantrums is to give clear warnings when transitioning to do something else eg leaving park to go home or leaving lounge room to get ready for bed. I start with the "In 10mins we need to..". Then "in 5 mins we need to" and a final "1 min and then it's time to leave the park". This really seemed to help as when I would suddenly spring it on DS is when a tantrum would erupt.
    Snap to Lynken great minds ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

HLE  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynken View Post
    Lots of notice works for my kids. For my 2.5yr old, I use 10mins, 5mins and 2mins warnings for any outing so he isn't taken by surprise. He still doesn't like it, but he gets less upset. You could also try using a circular route so you're not "turning back", IYKWIM?
    I tried to give him warnings saying at h the end of this block we are turning back, but it didn't work, next time I will try circular route as you said and timely warning when out. Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    My DD had such bad tantrums she damaged her vocal cords in the end. She had one once that went for 4 HOURS!!! And nothing worked. Nothing. ( I ended up calling DH at work in tears and took her to see him). She's grown out of them now but if she does get on a role she can go for over an hour. Not much help only saying...I've been there!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I should add that DD was a terrible sleeper and is still pretty ordinary and she's almost 6. I do think she was extremely sleep deprived for a lot of her toddler years. In hindsight I should have addressed the sleep issues a bit better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app