+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formal/Black Tie wedding outfit help!!

We are invited to a wedding in a few months (woohoo love weddings and the invite states "formal/black tie.

What sort of dress does this mean? I'm so confused, is it a floor length dress or a shorter cocktail dress? Does DH have to wear a tux or is a suit and tie ok? Our wedding was pretty casual so I have no idea.

also is it ok to wear a black dress? Is that considered bad taste or is that just something outdated? TIA!!

PS: I like this style would this be formal enough?ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1387187080.686909.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    personally if it was me id go for a full length dress and hubby wear a tux.. that is how id dress for a formal wedding where it says that formal/ black tie.... Black is nice and looks smart and you can dress it up with colour or accessories... cocktail dresses are more for cocktail weddings IMO.... have fun and happy shopping ps.. look online as there are 1000s of beautiful dresses .. also the dress you posted a photo of is gorgeous, wonder if you can get it in full length ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always wear floor length for black tie events. And DH wears a black suit, white shirt and plain thin black tie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I'm sure I've seen a dress similar to that, but floor length, on Asos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I always wear floor length for black tie events. And DH wears a black suit, white shirt and plain thin black tie.
    Yep this exactly. Always a long dress, and black suit, white shirt and skinny black tie :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys I'll have a look for a long dress. DH wears a black suit to work everyday so will just have to find a tie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Officially formal means floor length dress & tuxedo. These days it just means dress & suit.

Best to just quickly call and ask the wedding party!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont wear floor length dresses and would defiantly choose something along the lines of what you posted as that length is the most flattering to my figure. I would dress dh in a smart suit.

As long as its dressy and "formal" then really just find something that suits you and your personality and you feel comfortable in. You"ll have more fun if your comfortable and feel good in what you are wearing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    I dont wear floor length dresses and would defiantly choose something along the lines of what you posted as that length is the most flattering to my figure. I would dress dh in a smart suit.

As long as its dressy and "formal" then really just find something that suits you and your personality and you feel comfortable in. You"ll have more fun if your comfortable and feel good in what you are wearing.
    That's why I was leaning towards a shorter dress....long dresses don't look good on me...I think I need to try a few one and see..I might find a long one that looks nice...my sister and BFF are also going and will probably wear short dresses....mmm decisions.....