+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Affect of short-term exposure to paint fumes in first trimester??

Does anyone know what the risks are (if any) of short-term exposure to paint fumes during the first trimester of pregnancy?

I just found out today that they will be doing some painting at work. Not directly inside my office but it will be outside in the hallways etc (can't avoid walking around there). They have done this before & although I kept my office door shut & windows open there was still quite a strong smell of paint.

I have asked of an estimate of when it will be commencing & finishing but I'm not really sure what to do about it. I don't know if I really want to take the risk of exposing my baby to the fumes. Not to mention myself - last time it gave me headaches & nausea & I wasn't even pregnant.

My work was not very helpful last time, just said I would have to find myself a different desk to sit at. This time the paint fumes will be in all of the hallways so regardless of if I move to a different desk it will probably still be strong when I walk around the builing or go to the ladies room etc.

What do you think? Is it reasonable of work to expect me to just put up with it given I'm 11wks 3 days pregnant? If I do have to just 'put up with it' is it likely to have any affect on the development of my baby?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't imagine it would have any lasting effects. Assumably they're not using lead based paint and the paint job will be over and done with in a day or two.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks HugsBunny - I'm waiting to see how long it will take - it could be for the rest of this week as they are painting quite a large area.

I'll ask some more questions tomorrow, but I know last time they painted they used some oil-based stuff on the trims & that is what really made me unwell - I wasn't sure if the oil-based stuff caused any issues given the smell seems to be so much stronger than water-based paint.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe just pop out more often if the fumes make you feel ill. As far as dangers I'd not be too worried personally. I painted rooms and gloss edges at 8weeks before I knew I was pregnant and bubs was fine.there is always something to worry about in pregnancy huh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My husband painted our skirting boards with oil based paint when I was away for work when I was pregnant because the smell made me sick, but even coming home 2 days after it was done was terrible. Can you work from home? Or if it does make you feel sick, tell them that, then go home on sick leave. If they're not willing to accommodate you, I don't think you should have to work while feeling unwell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe give your doctor or OB a call and ask? Or call nurse on call and see if they have any info? I doubt it would make an impact but wouldn't hurt to check.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbajah For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Asking as there's no lead, I think it's fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! It will be fire-retardant paint so im concernrd about that so I will be speaking to the people organising the work tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How did u go with the paint at your work? My work is getting painted in the new year and im supposed to be working the day after its done (its getting painted on a sunday). Im worried about the fumes as well. All I know is that they r using a fumeless liquid. But we are on level 5 with no open windows so im worried there will still be chemicals lingering around! Not sure what to do either. Im about 5.5 weeks now and dont want to put myself at any risk

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You might find some advise on the worksafe aus website, I've just found this (haven't read it sorry!) http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/...taminants.docx