+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't use day care atm. I did put dd2 in one day a week the year before school on the advice of her pead to help with her social issues and asperges.

For ME - I don't like my kids going off to daycare. I love having them home. They have all loved school when they got there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I don't believe that someone else should raise my child!

I am not one to get upset over much on BH these days, but the above sentence has left me flabbergasted.

I am a SAHM. I used childcare one day per week for my first DD from the time she was 18m/o until she was 4. I didn’t send her so someone else could “raise my child”. I sent her because she was so shy and introverted that if I was in the room she literally did not leave my side. We are very social and did playgroup, story time, mum’s group, catch up with friends. Didnt matter how long my DD had known people (including her own grandparents), if I was around she would not under any circumstances engage with them. Child care was the best thing we could have done for her and she LOVED it. It’s been 2 years since she finished and she still talks about it and we still have regular catch ups with 3 girls she made friends with.

DD2 didnt need childcare for the same reasons DD1 did but I sent her at age 2 simply because DD1 loved it so much. Well DD2 didnt like it, so I took her out after 2 months.

The very very large majority of people who use childcare do not use it so someone else can raise their children. Most people do use it out of necessity, and if necessity means for them that it’s a sanity day because they are a single parent or a parent who wants a day to do other things, it still doesn’t mean they are doing it for someone else to raise their child.

In my social circle I have one friend who is a single parent (with no financial support from her son's father) and she works in a very well paying job, she needs childcare so she can continue her job or when her son starts school she is back to square one with no job and a loss of her skills she has built up over time. Another friend of mine has a husband who was diagnosed with early onset dementia. Her DS was in childcare 3 days per week because my friend was exhausted being the full time carer for her husband and running around after an active little boy who didn’t sleep much. Both of these women would be pretty much devastated to think they’ve turned the responsibility of raising their child over to someone else.

It’s pretty insulting to a lot of people on BH to insinuate that they are letting someone else raise their child.
    Agree with is. I am not a SAHM but work as a necessity. I find it insulting for someone to suggest that someone else is raising my child because I use day care to provide for my child.

For some who have the capability not to use day care, that is their choice and they are lucky to be able to make that choice. There are many parents out there who simply do not have any other option.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm temporarily a SAHM with 5mo DS and my 3.5yo DD goes to daycare 3 days a week. I'll need those days when I go back to work in a few months.

Daycare teachers are not raising my child. My husband and I are doing that. We're just utilizing our 'village' to ensure we can provide the best we can for them.

My DH works full time, he would be very offended if someone told him he wasn't raising his own kids because he wasn't home with them every day. He is just as important in their upbringing as I am.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-01-2015),CookingMonster  (01-01-2015),Gentoo  (01-01-2015),GirlsRock  (01-01-2015),MonsterMummy  (01-01-2015),SheWarrior  (02-01-2015),VicPark  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For the sah mums, what kind of exercise do you do and when do you fit it in to your day?

My plan this year is to re join my local gym. I can walk the oldest to school, and keep walking to the gym, put the younger 2 in the crèche and have a workout.

What do you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    For the sah mums, what kind of exercise do you do and when do you fit it in to your day?

My plan this year is to re join my local gym. I can walk the oldest to school, and keep walking to the gym, put the younger 2 in the crèche and have a workout.

What do you do?
    Does housework count? Because thats about all the exercise i get lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haha me too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Do many of the sah mums use child care?

My oldest is in school full time next year but I could put my nearly 2 year old in child care so I could have some free time for the rest of my pregnancy and once the baby comes.

Do many of you use child care?
    I used daycare when DS1 was 2.5 because I was struggling a lot with a newborn DS2. He was very sick all the time and we had a lot of issues. I pulled him out when he was 3 as we moved away from our family daycarer.

DS2 has never been in care and starts kindy at the end of Jan, and then DS3 will be going to daycare 1 day a week (well DH has put his foot down and said this is happening so that I get a bit of a break but I am still iffy and not keen on it lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

What do you do?
    I just use "purposeful movement" I think it's called these days (LOL) which is just housework, chasing kiddies, gardening, and such. I would say I'm on my feet, moving around for most of the day most days and it does keep me fit!

Local gym sounds great though, would love to work out alone one day! Living out bush makes it pretty much impossible though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

What do you do?
    I either:
    - exercise and shower before the kids start getting up at 7am (go to the gym early morning etc). OR
    - integrate exercise in with a daily activity (eg take a long walk with the pram to the local park)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

What do you do?
    When I was a sahm, I went to the gym everyday and utilised the crèche. I currently work 3 days and find it difficult to go on those days, but I do go the days I don't work and also on a Saturday morning.