+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ! Im a sahm mum as well to a beautiful 18 month old boy. Im always up for a chat. I love being at home with ds and have not regreted my decision of not returning to the workforce. I have however come across negative comments from some because I chose to stay at home and look after my ds.
    I have a few friends from mums grp that are also sahm and we also do music and gymbaroo. I do feel very blessed that I can stay home financially and hopefully until ds goes to school. They grow up do fast and I dont want to miss a second ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    Sometimes I doubt my choice not because I miss working or I don't enjoy being a sahm but just because it seems we (my family) is going against the grain.
    There's so much negativity around being a housewife, why is it so? Why is it that this 'traditional' model of family that has been working for centuries has been put down frawn upon and it seems is now dying?
    Because it doesn't generate as much economic growth as two working parents - who earn more and spend more - and create a demand for childcare, which in itself is a huge sector of economic growth and creates even more jobs! It certainly has nothing to do with a family's best interests or what an individual couple want, which is pretty obvious in reading this thread, half the mums who work wish they could stay home. It's a bit of a wealth trap IMO.

Anyway, I'm a SAHM with two toddlers - hopefully more to come - and planning to homeschool so I'll be kept very busy for a couple of decades to come! Living on a low income can be a challenge but it is very doable, though you become pretty familiar with your local op shops. It helps living in the country, too.

I worked for ten years before having kids - was never really happy to do it - am now thrilled to be at home, though it is certainly still a full time job and quite exhausting at times (I also have a chronic health problem, though). It does seem like most other mums I meet are working part time, studying or planning to get back into it asap. I don't have any aspirations in that way at the moment - it's just all about caring for the family, hopefully for a very long time. It's lovely and valuable and well worth the sacrifices.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (31-12-2014),Sunnybambino  (31-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I won't lie, I don't need to work - I want to. It doesn't mean I love my kids any less, and I always drop everything the second they need me. However, they are happy, well adjusted kids who love Childcare and know that their father and I are always there for them.
    I know SAHMs who actually spend less time with their children than I do if you take into account their social lives, going away on holidays without their kids, weekends out with friends etc.
    However you parent, good for you.
    This exactly. I love my job as a social worker and (without wanting to sound too pie-in-the-sky) I actually make a significant difference in the lives of people in the community through the work I do. I took 12 mths mat leave after both of my kids were born but I looked forward to returning to work both times. Working 3dpw in a flexible job means I don't miss any of the important events at school, etc. Our family could just scrape through financially if I didn't work but I don't want to live in financial stress and nor do I want to let years of university education and hard graft building a career go out the window.

The few SAHMs I know have their kids in daycare 2-3 dpw. I don't see any difference between that and what I do, except I'm at work when my kids are not with me (DD at school and DS with his Nana) instead of having free time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a happy SAHM. I have a 19 month old and a 5 year old. I get so much out of being at home with my kids and have no intention of going back to work until both are in school full time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do many of the sah mums use child care?

My oldest is in school full time next year but I could put my nearly 2 year old in child care so I could have some free time for the rest of my pregnancy and once the baby comes.

Do many of you use child care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I dont use child care. I dont see the point when I choose to stay at home to look after my child. But in saying that there are many reasons why some sahm might use child care. Its just not for my family.
    Last edited by Sethysmum; 01-01-2015 at 11:21.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sethysmum For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any of us (SAHMs) left?

I have a 3yo DD and a stay at home mum.

I do the odd relief work, but that's few and far between! I've done all of 2 shifts this year, only qualified in June.

Not interested in day care. I don't believe that someone else should raise my child! (Child care poses a huge threat to us with dd's lungs/health issues!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LysnDan For This Useful Post:

waterlily  (31-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a happy SAHM and have been for just over 4 years. I have a 4yo and 19mo. I've never had either of them in child care. The 4yo went to pre-Kindy last semester which was 2 2-hour sessions a week. She starts Kindy this coming year and it will be so odd not having her at home 3 days a week and having some one-on-one time with DD2. I love being at home. Before having kids I worked my butt off as a lawyer, was offered partnership and was very ambitious. But I always wanted children and to stay home with them - I don't miss working that much at all. I don't plan to go back to part time work until the youngest (we plan to have 3) is in full time school. I'm lucky in that DH earns a great salary but we could earn double if I was working. We have sacrificed a higher living standard for the family life that we both want. Not many of my friends are SAHM but we are busy doing lots of fun activities and seeing friends when they have days off. I think life as a SAHM is easier if you have a very supportive partner like I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No child care here, we do story time, playgroups, free play at the park and occasionally meet up with friends/other families so that the little ones get to see other kids. As they get older we'll do weekly homeschool group, too. I'm not keen on childcare, really.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

waterlily  (31-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest, I don't love being a sahm - at all... i much prefer to be a working mum for lots of different reasons. Dd1 is in school, and I put dd2 in c/c 1 day a week for a break. Financially I actually can't go back to work for a few years (until at least dd2 is in school), and it does feel like years of hard work, undergrad and postgrad study have just been wasted 😟. There is lots more to the story though. Individuals need to try to make the best of whatever situation they are in and different combinations of things work for different families.