+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would never go to a current affairs program. It destroys your credibility and the show is not out to help you, but to exploit your situation to increase their ratings. They don't encourage working together for a mutual agreement, but are in the business of antagonising people. Be very, very wary.

An employment lawyer would be able to tell you the legal status of the verbal representations and whether the contract is enforceable but they may not be worth the cost. First step - call Fair Work Infoline 131 394.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

JR03  (16-12-2013),Wise Enough  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You can't complain/go to a lawyer/A current Affair just because you signed a contract you don't agree with. The time for not agreeing is at the time of signing. You snooze you lose..
    I'm not sure Mr and Mrs Amadio (or the high court of Australia) would agree with you on that one...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (16-12-2013),Mummy Potato  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I'm not sure Mr and Mrs Amadio (or the high court of Australia) would agree with you on that one...
    Perhaps. But I think the Amadio's case is a little different? the OP doesnt appear to have poor English language skills and seemed to be aware that the contract wasnt up to scratch but signed it anyway? - apologies if I have misunderstood.

And I'm sorry but if you sign something being fully aware it does not contain the outcome you want then I don't think you have any right to complain. And I'll go one step further if you sign something without understanding it/getting independent legal advice (yes Amadio's) and things go pear shaped all you will hear from me is a big fat "I told you so."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (16-12-2013),LaDiDah  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly I think your best course of action would be to speak to senior management, then if you don't get the response you're after contact fair work Australia. I would never go to aca etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Perhaps. But I think the Amadio's case is a little different? the OP doesnt appear to have poor English language skills and seemed to be aware that the contract wasnt up to scratch but signed it anyway? - apologies if I have misunderstood.

And I'm sorry but if you sign something being fully aware it does not contain the outcome you want then I don't think you have any right to complain. And I'll go one step further if you sign something without understanding it/getting independent legal advice (yes Amadio's) and things go pear shaped all you will hear from me is a big fat "I told you so."
    Amadio has been applied much wider than just cases of poor English comprehension. Given the OP hasn't yet clarified the conduct leading to signing the contract, I don't see how anyone can say whether we are dealing with unconscionable conduct or, as you put it, "you snooze, you lose".

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to exhaust the appropriate internal channels first i.e Regional Manager > Director etc. If your colleagues are in the same situation, then that will add weight to your case.

My understanding is that a verbal agreement is a contract, just difficult to prove, as you are realising.

Also, consider following up on all conversations in writing to get your Managers written commitment.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Without knowing the specific details, I can only respond to the facts, & so this is going to sound pretty harsh, but why would you sign a contract if you didn't agree with the T&C's ???

Take this as a learning experience - don't take people's word, if something has been promised, make sure it's in writing!

I wouldn't waste your time or money with a lawyer, if it's not in writing then it's your word against theirs, so you're not going to have a leg to stand on.

As for current affair - what the hell for, you're only going to give yourself a name for future employers as a trouble maker.....

Count your losses, learn from this, quit & find a job working for someone who is honest & ethical.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (16-12-2013),LaDiDah  (25-04-2014),Meld85  (25-04-2014),MilkingMaid  (25-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be fair, if the organisation is acting in an unethical manner & exploiting staff, by no means should you all just roll over!

I'm sure you've realised signing a contract that doesn't reflect the agreements wasn't wise but you have a number of options available to you that are more appropriate than ACA.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely there are other avenues to try before ACA! Definitely take it higher up the management chain and ask for an internal review ect.
    Do you really think it's worth the time/expense of a lawyer? Like you said OP you don't want to stay there long anyway.
    I always pity the people on ACA shows as the stories are all so obviously one sided and likely misrepresented/skewed. I would never ever allow myself to contact them as you never know how you would be portrayed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your signature represents the fact that you agree with the arrangement that is contained within. Unfortunately it's now your word against his, and without any written evidence you have nothing to stand on. Never sign a contract of any nature that doesn't contain what you believe you have agreed upon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app