+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Backyard chooks.

Please help me.
    We have two chickens (brand new to raising them) and all of the sudden had a huge increase in the number of small birds in our yard. They are eating the chooks feed. Anyone know how I can stop the small birds from getting to the feed. At this rate they are eating thru 2.5kg of feed in three days!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Feed them 2-3 times a day only what the chooks can eat in 5-10minutes. Don't leave food out (this attracts mice as well as other birds). While they are eating the feed stay close to shoo the birds away. The rest of the day just let them roam free for their own food. At night when you lock them in the coop give them a bowl of fresh scraps and discard any uneaten food in the morning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (15-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do they not have a pen?? Our girls just have their food left in their pen, occasionally when they are roaming the yard a bird will duck in and sneakily eat some grain but it doesn't happen often, our the girls will usually chase them off anyway.

We have the problem of a certain magpie swooping the chooks every afternoon just after the neighbour has fed it

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a self feeder inside our coop that we ordered online.

It's like a long tube that we fill up and the chookies eat from a small hole in the bottom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also get feeders that the chooks have to stand on to open it up.
    I find just using a feeder (gravity fed container that releases feed at the bottom) to put the feed in stops most birds. I had more trouble with little birds eating the guinea pig food after squeezing through the cage.

from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes they have a pen just not a fully enclosed roof.
    Will it be trial and error to work out how much feed they need? They go into their coop on their own, so am I meant to lock the door too?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be warned of not having an enclosed roof. Those pesky foxes can climb!
    Lost my first lot of chooks to a fox in a built up residential area. Climbed over a 2m fence.
    We just have their food in the cage. Although we recently had to change the wire to smaller as the pigeons had figured out how to squeeze in and get to the food.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd really advise having a fully enclosed space for them to nest and to lock them in at night, to protect from foxes, cats, other birds (crows love to eat the eggs). I use a feeder as well and just make sure they have water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get a feeder they have to step on for the hatch to open.

First couple weeks put a brick on the standing pad so they get used to eating out of it then take the brick away - they'll have it worked out in no time & the birds will soon leave cause theyll not be getting fed

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get a thing called 'bird tape'. http://www.bird-x.com/irri-tape-prod...php?page_id=61
    You can get it on ebay i think.
    I hung that and also plastic bags on lines over the cook pen. It deterred them quite well. They usually switch to bugs in the cooler months so its really only a problem through summer.
    Failing that, a feeder though they can be expensive (which is why we tried the tape first).
    Good luck

ETA...please make sure your girls have heas of cold scraps, shade and iced water in this heat we are having. Alot of hens wont make it through the summer heat. We spray the shaded areas at least twice a day on the really hot days too, keeps the ground cool for them. Frozen watermelon, lettuce and rock melon are good for the hottest part of the day.