+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding and Formula

Hello ladies,
    I am a new first time mum to a beautiful baby boy, who is 4 days old. We are currently formula feeding as well as expressing, as our little man has very poor sucking reflexes and was struggling and losing weight and I am not producing much milk, I am also on motilium tablets. He was born by Caesarian also. We leave hospital tomorrow. I have had many chats with the midwifes and some push for breastfeeding others say do what you are comfortable with. I have a lot of anxiety and really am not happy breastfeeding and expressing, it is making me very upset and so I am considering just going to formula all the time. My husband supports me no matter what. I am just looking to hear from anyone else who may have been in a similar situation. I feel so guilty like maybe I am not a good enjoy mum as I don't want to breastfeed and worry if I am doing the right thing for my little man.

Please don't try and preach the benefits of breastfeeding, I am just wanting to know if anyone else has been in the same situation, what you did and how you felt about it. Thanks for anyone who replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Of course you get that breast is best, but at the end of the day a happy mum = a happy bub and if it is stressing you out then do what you feel comfortable with. You have given him a great start giving him the colostrum which i think is all you can ask any mum.
    All i can suggest is wait until you get home and see how you feel. Then go to formula full time if you still feel that is best.
    Good Luck and enjoy your new squishy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (14-12-2013),ozeymumof5  (15-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know if this helps but I've been breastfeeding twins for nearly six months without ever expressing. I had no luck at all expressing and hated it, so I chose not to do it. I breastfeed, except for one bottle of formula each evening. I also use formula when we are and about as I don't feel comfortable breastfeeding two in public.
    My point is only to say that there may be something in between that works for you. Don't feel that it has to be all or nothing one way or the other.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newmum86 View Post
    Hello ladies,
    I am a new first time mum to a beautiful baby boy, who is 4 days old. We are currently formula feeding as well as expressing, as our little man has very poor sucking reflexes and was struggling and losing weight and I am not producing much milk, I am also on motilium tablets. He was born by Caesarian also. We leave hospital tomorrow. I have had many chats with the midwifes and some push for breastfeeding others say do what you are comfortable with. I have a lot of anxiety and really am not happy breastfeeding and expressing, it is making me very upset and so I am considering just going to formula all the time. My husband supports me no matter what. I am just looking to hear from anyone else who may have been in a similar situation. I feel so guilty like maybe I am not a good enjoy mum as I don't want to breastfeed and worry if I am doing the right thing for my little man.

Please don't try and preach the benefits of breastfeeding, I am just wanting to know if anyone else has been in the same situation, what you did and how you felt about it. Thanks for anyone who replies.
    Has anyone explained that your milk will take a while to come in with c-section... Mine took at least 5 days, my DS lost weight aswell, the midwives made me feel terrible about it, just decide on a plan & stick to it, its so hard cause you are tired & emotional but if you try and live by the motto "happy mum = happy baby" you will find your feet... Good on you DH for supporting you, need all the support you can get!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (15-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey there breastfeeding can be REALLY hard to establish. I had a csec and my milk came in on day 4 I think. And it took a few weeks before there wasn't excruciating pain...

I don't mean to be rude but who is advising you to formula feed as you don't have enough milk and bub is loosing weight ? I hope it's not the medical staff. Babies can loose a lot of their birth weight in the first week and that is normal. It's also normal for milk to not come in until day 3-4. And unless there is a specific medical issue (diagnosed by a doctor) feeding formula is likely sabotaging your efforts to breastfeed (putting bub on the boob helps bring in milk, more bottle time, less boob time = less milk).

Expressing is a pain in the @rse. I did it twice per day for about 8 months so daddy could give a night bottle. No way in hell I would be able to cope with any more than that or expressing full time. I dont really want to do it this time round. So I can understand you not wanting to continue.

You've got to do what you've got to do. And don't look back and don't feel guilty. Your baby will be fed and grow regardless. You can't let doubt and regret eat away at you: you have to be happy and free to bond with your baby.

That being said, if you do want to try a little longer to breastfeed (and its ok if you don't), here are some tips:
    * stay in hospital a little longer. Say you're not ready to go home for another 2-3 nights until feeding is more stable. * Buzz for a midwife/lactation consultant for EVERY feed. Have them check for positioning etc.
    * put bub on the boob all day every day for a week if that's what bub wants.
    * give formula the flick (have a doctor monitor bub if you are concerned)
    * get a good nursing pillow
    * get a proper nursing chair (glider/rocker)

Best of luck and remember to look after yourself.
    Last edited by VicPark; 14-12-2013 at 21:02.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (28-12-2013),Atropos  (15-12-2013),dee1  (14-12-2013),Kishimojin  (05-01-2014),mrswhitehouse  (15-12-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    Has anyone explained that your milk will take a while to come in with c-section... Mine took at least 5 days, my DS lost weight aswell,
    Just adding to this, has anyone explained to you that babies do lose weight in the first week, perfectly expected and not something to worry about. And he's 4 days old? It's very very early days in your breastfeeding relationship, I promise it will get better
    Best wishes and congrats on the birth of your little man

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a very similar situation OP. Everything got better for us once I switched to formula. It's your choice and it's a perfectly fine choice. I expressed for several weeks after leaving hospital, awful latch, excruciating pain and bare minimum milk, it was a very dark time for us. I was comp feeding from day 3-4 I think so any milk I had was just supplementing anyway. Pm me if you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have mix fed both my bubs. With my first I struggled with lots of feelings of failure at not having enough milk and put off going on motilium until about 4 months instead feeding almost all day and pumping after every feed etc. This time I've just taken it a day at a time. I hate pumping so much so this time I'm not doing it. I got onto motilium on day 4 too.

Breastfeeding was quite a negative experience last time around but this time I enjoy that my baby will take formula or breast. I love the convenience of breastfeeding but also love that I can have a break if I need to.

Based on my experience I would recommend stopping the pumping, look up breast compression to help 'push' the milk into bub if the suck is still developing and keep giving formula as needed. Once you are over the initial shock/pain/tiredness of CS recovery (both of mine were emergency CS) you may feel ready to dedicate a bit more energy to increasing breast feeds and decreasing formula so this would still keep your options open. Also make sure you are on 6-8 tablets of motilium a day initially if you do decide to continue.

I definitely believe you need to do what's best for you be it formula, breast or both, baby will be happy whatever you decide.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    On day 4 your milk is prob yet to come in. I had a section at 36 weeks and my baby was loosing weight and had low blood sugars. I pumped around the clock every 3 hours and It encouraged my milk. He was very sleepy to feed and I had to give him expressed milk by bottle for the first few days and then top him up once my milk came in. It was tiring but worth it, he's still breastfed at 8 months. It was hard in those early few weeks, but then it was fine.

If you do feel you want to breastfeed, it's still vey early days and you still can. I'd suggest hiring a pump like a medela symphony so you can pump and give him expressed milk. Once he gets a little bigger and stronger, hopefully he should latch better.

Totally up to you, if you feel that bottle feeding is better for you. Happy mum, happy bub. It's still very early though and you could still give breastfeeding a go if that's what you wanted.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 14-12-2013 at 22:13.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies normally loose 10% of their birth weight in the first few days. It's normal and they do gain it back quite quickly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post: