+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I wouldn't lie, but I also wouldn't tell them how much I won, it'd be simply 'enough to do this'.

I'd build my dream house. It's already well planned in my head.

I'd buy my ex a nice house, finance his way into the career he wants. Happy ex + good home/same standard of living = happy kids yeah?

I'd purchase 'rentals' for my siblings to live in (putting aside the money they pay into a trust for them and their kids if they ever need it, but not to their knowledge).

I'd finance my mum's way out of her relationship, get her her dream property and some kind of passive income so she can be the hermit she always dreamed of being.

I'd pay off my dad and step-mum's small mortgage and buy them a nice little holiday home somewhere peaceful.

Then I'd create a charity that provides meals, food parcels, social worker advice and accommodation for people who call Australia home, but can't access these things. Those utilising the accommodation would pay their way (if not working) by working in the gardens, kitchen, cleaning etc... Very communal and all about being a community hub.

Then I'd go see the world while my house is being built.
    It never ceases to amaze me just how generous and awesome you truly are <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would tell everyone, give them a bit (amount depends on winnings obviously) then tell them we paid off our mortgage (or bought a new house) and the rest is being invested and/or donated to charity. Cause that is exactly what I would do with it. Cant argue with a charity donation. That being said, I find it really tough to give my family anything. We are all doing it tough so we fight more over who gets to do more for others than who gets what.

I love your charity idea blissed out. If you won tons in lotto and I did too, Aust would be a much kinder place. My focus would be on creating the best orphanages ever with enough caring staff to ensure that all children felt loved and supported. Then (if I was still rich) I would build them abroad in places like Cambodia. Lol, unlimited cash would be awesome!
    Last edited by Tildy; 13-12-2013 at 23:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me just how generous and awesome you truly are <3
    Not entirely generous, I'd probably put the house in a trust for the kids, rather than in his name.

I think he'd do the same for me.

I've got 3 weeks without work, he's working overtime like crazy to be able to be able to help me financially.

He might've done several exceptionally awful things, but he's not a bad person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was a huge amount.... I would probably just say some inheritance from someone but not divuldge an amount....to those who i wasnt close too.

I would only tell my parents exactaly how much. Maybe not even the exact amount to DF, he is HOPELESS with money and its quite shameful really! $5 will literally burn a hole in his pocket, he HAS to spend it, even if its using $3 of petrol to get to the station to spend the $5 topping it up....and yes he HAS done that before

Firstly, I would clear my parents debts so my dad no longer has to work away from home 6 days a week at 68yrs old. I Would do a complete reno of their house (god knows it needs it!) buy them a new car, and a small motor home so they could travel around australia like they always say they dreamt of but never could. Id probably also give them some cash to go on their trip. They have helped us so much, and do so much for us. Im never going to be able to ever repay what they have enabled us to do.

Clear our debts (its not alot, but its still debt)

I would gift my oldest brother enough to clear his debts and settle his messy breakup/custody for the kids etc.

My twin niece/nephew would get a small amount in a trust each - that i controlled (I Dont trust their mum )

My adult nieces would get gifted the same amount for whatever, though id hope it wasnt wasted. Maybe a house deposit or something?

My 2nd oldest brother, i dont talk to him and havent seen him for over 12 months. Id try track him down, as last i heard he was doing it tough, and (Regardless of what happened between us) I would have to be fair....and would gift him some money to improve his situation. (Although my parents LENT him well over 40k about 5yrs ago and its literally just gone, and wont be ever seen again)

My youngest brother id get a new car for, and maybe a house deposit.

I would buy us a nice house that meets our needs/future needs, furnish it, set it up exactally how we want, but make sure theres room for expansions/change in the future.

We both have decent cars (both less than 10yrs old) so im not phased about buying new ones, though probably would get minor maintenance done to them that we've been avoiding due to $$.

Id invest enough to buy a house and car for DS when he is old enough. Though he would not know about it, and would still be encouraged to work etc until we done it. We would gift them when we felt he would appreciate them and their value. (Even if its not until he was 30)

I would pay my besties debts off. Shes awesome and loves DS so much. Shes there when or if i need her, and i know i could call her at 3am in the morning if i needed to for whatever reason, and it wouldnt be an issue....She would answer the phone/door with a smile, as always. Even if her eyes were still closed

We would go on a family holiday, a nice one. Maybe even Elope.

Id like to either set up some charity or just donate to a charity or something. Something for the good of the community...

....If it were a lesser amount id be happy just buying us a modest house (300k mark - actually around here thats almost millionare standard!) and clearing ours and my parents debts. 500k would see all of that done AND a nice holiday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Id tell immediate family but warn them not to blab how much we really won.

Id tell friends & extended family we won but downplay the amount.

Im more than happy to help out family & i would do but would not just blindly hand over $$

Id set us & our kids up for life first, my parents & inlaws next then both my bro & BIL's families.

Once that was done id gift amounts to extended family & friends who would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't help but tell, I have the worst verbal diarrhea about personal things. I'm very socially awkward and blurt out personal things all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't want to tell anyone, but I'd want to pay off my friends mortgages, and buy houses for the ones that don't have one and then I'd buy my brother a house too. DOn't know how they'd miss it really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    People would get suss I think because if suddenly quit my job and buy a huge house and fill it with kids! Haha

But seriously, I'd prob just tell people I was gifting money to. With a big win, I'd pay off my parents mortgage (and I put it all in mums name so dad couldn't get them in trouble again), give all of my siblings generous house deposits, pay off my SIL's mortgage and give BIL a fat amount to do whatever he wanted, give our grandparents some money and set up trusts for my little nieces when they are older. The ILs dont have a mortgage but we'd buy them a new car and give them some money too. I'd put some into a high interest account so we had some income off it and donate whatever was left to charity.

I don't even buy tickets but still dream of the win, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I'm going to lie & say someone gave us money. Neither of us are close to our families so we could say some random nameless old school friend gave us just enough for a house.

This would fit with my plan to anonymously give friends cheques in their mail😘

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh, I never thought of the anonymous gift, that's another thing I can dream about hehehe. I always imagine inviting my close family to a nice dinner and handing out million-dollar cheques, but anonymous would be fun too!