+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default how much sleep does your 3 year old get?

DD is almost 3 years old and is a terrible sleeper as of late.
    Wether she has a day nap or not, it makes no difference to her night sleep.
    We have always had the same night routine since she was a baby. In bed my 7pm. Except she refuses to go to sleep untill about 10.30 every night. She gets out of bed and mucks up from 7-10.30 then finally konks out. She is up at 6am.
    She is grumpy and very difficult all day because she is so overtired.
    I just cant get any more sleep into her.
    She does not sleep at her dayare, never has.

She usually naps from 2-3pm or 1-2pm depending on what we have been doing and how difficult she has been. Somedays she wont sleep at all and putting her to bed earlier doesnt seem to work - it just makes the whole ordeal alot longer.
    i do not want to change the 7pm bedtime.

i dont think cutting out her day sleep atm will help us. She is clearly a tired little girl. She has the attention span of a fly and it is very hard to get her to focus on anything, she's not even eating how she would on good (normal) sleep.
    Daycare have recently said she just "snaps" and has meltdowns because of something small and it takes 2 carers to calm her down.

She never ever sued to be like this, its very unusual and i can only link it to lack of sleep.
    How can i get some more sleep into her and how do i stop the carrying on at bedtime of a night without gating her in her room.

edit. she is not understimulated or bored. The more i "tire her out" the less she sleeps. After swimming for example, she is beside herself , refuses a day sleep and still carries on of a night untill 10-11pm and up at first light. Her room has 3 layers of blinds all blockout. Its pitch black.
    If we have an at home pj day - it is no different!

Also, this doesnt help but i have a friend who has a dd of the same age and she still has 3hour day sleep and sleeps 7pm-7am. But the have a baby gate on her room and swear by it. I asked if my friends dd goes to sleep staright away at 7pm ans she said no she plays in her room but "i dont care because i dont have to deal with her!" i just dont like the idea the gate on the room.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 13-12-2013 at 13:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Miss 3 I look after has a 1.5 day nap and then sleeps from 8pm through to 730/8am usually she can last some days without a nap but is then a terror at 5pm onwards so isn't worth it as she needs to see her parents who dont get home from work til 7/730

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    no advice but maybe setting bed time a little later ?? maybe say 8pm so less time for her to muck aroun if she should actually be tired by then! is she doing activities in afternoon after nap that will tire her out? I find if miss 3 just lazes around in afternoon after nap she's horrible to put to bed as hasn't waste any energy so I usually make sure I take her at least outside or to the park, play with friend etc to burn some energy off helps her sleep better

Thanks
    Reviews
    it is hard to do anything with her because she's too tired. I end up carrying her home from the park. She ends up in tears. We dont enjoy anything anymore.
    I just dont know why she wont sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would say put her to bed earlier, then she winds down and hopefully asleep earlier.

I had the same problem with my son and he outgrew it. It took ages, though and he was a nightmare for ages.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How come you don't want to change the 7pm bedtime? It sounds to me that she's doing what my DS did, which is dropping the day nap but getting way overtired because of it. I think it would make a huge difference if you moved bedtime to 6pm. My two have almost always slept worse when overtired, taking far longer to get to sleep and having worse quality sleep. Maybe just try it for a little while and see if it helps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds isn't quite 3. Since a baby bed time (set by him, I followed his natural routine) was between 8 and 9.
    I noticed gradually he dragged it later and later until I was up till almost midnight with him he would sleeps till 10ish, have a couple hours nap and id be waking him up at 4, only to be up till midnight again. Even if I tried bed art normal time he would muck around and carry on until very late.

I trialed no sleep, and while he was still tired, he went to bed alot earlier, and also faster.

Now he does approx 7-7.30. no day sleeps and is much better. Occasionally he needs a sleep, but I have alot more time, and relaxed time to myself its what he needed.

Proudly brought to you by me and my autocorrect fail device.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 3 and dropped her day nap just before she turned 2. If for some reason she has one, even a 10 minute one, she is up for an extra 2-3 hours. Normally she goes to bed at 7pm and sleeps through till 6:30-7:30am.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Almost 3
    Bed at 7pm and up at 6:30 - 7am
    Day nap 1 - 3 hours

No problems at all for bedtime at night, occasionally says she doesn't want a day nap though.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an issue that is sort of similar with our 3yr old DD2. She is up anywhere from 3.30-5am the absolutely latest that she sleeps in until is 5.15am. She goes to bed at 7pm every night and has a day sleep when needed usually about 1 a week and it's a 3 hour nap. Drives me nuts that we are up so early every morning and we are all tired and grumpy because of it. Doesn't make a difference if it's dark in her room or not.

Sorry I have no advice just wanted to let you know that you're not alone