+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Montessori pre school

Hi All,

I am considering sending my 3 year old DD to a Montessori Pre-school in Frankston and I am after peoples experiences with it or opinions.

My DD is a smart little thing and I feel like this style of learning may suit her. The thing I am worried about is her transition to main ****** school. If we put her in a normal primary school after this will she adjust to a different way of learning or struggle with it? The only way I could send her to Montessori School is to send her to Karingal primary as they have a ****** there in the normal school and it worries me that the kids are segregated.

What are the fees for pre-school like? Do you get subsidy like normal 4 year old kinder? I wish these schools had websites! It makes it hard to get info on them myself.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone??:-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't actually sent my daughter to Montessori but we extensively researched it and went to a few open days to observe and spoke to lots of mums who do have/did have their kids in a Montessori programme.

From experiences relayed to us, the kids do have a tough time transitioning from the 3-6 year cycle into a typical classroom as the Monti programme is very unstructured, in as much as kids can decide what they want to work on for the day, whereas other schools have a set curriculum which runs to a specific daily schedule. One could say there is less active 'engagement' and more 'regimented' learning. One mum said her son struggled for a good 12 months before finally realising he couldn't walk around the classroom and had to follow the programme exactly. But she did say he enjoyed the sport aspect of his new school better as Monti isn't heavy on the sporting side.

Also if you sign up for the 3-6 year cycle you need to complete it or face financial penalty if you do not do so.

The cost at the Sydney school we were looking at is about $13k pa - not sure what it is in Melbourne.

Hope this helps a bit and someone else has some experience to share

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We send ours to a montessori preschool and school. The preschool is part of the school so they just transition on. I didn't see any issues going to the older years and DD is most definitely not allowed to just walk around her classroom!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't mean they just wander around the classroom aimlessly - not sure if that's how it came across LOL but they do constantly move around the classroom working on different projects either at tables or on the floor etc (ie they don't sit in a seat for the entire day listening to the teacher talk which is what happens in a traditional classroom setting) I took the OP question to be can they transition easily between a Monti classroom to traditional setting not Monti preschool to Monti school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. yes I did mean can they transition to main****** school easily. The only Montessori school near us is at a normal primary school and then they have a monti ****** of about 20 student I think. From what I have read I think their fees are about $2500 for a year or cycle? I think I would most likely send her to main****** primary but just want to look at options for kinder years because she is smart and bored at home and I feel like going to daycare is making her naughtier! I guess Steiner would be another option or ELC at a private school.

Can I ask why did you decside against monti?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're thinking of sending our daughter to Frankston Montessori pre-school and Karingal Primary School too, but she's only two right now. The school has a parents' group for the Montessori children. You could always ask to contact them via the school to ask how the children handle being in a separate class to the other children. I don't imagine it would be that much of a problem given that children are all in separate classes anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good idea. Have you been to the pre-school for a tour? or put her name down yet? I have heard there are waiting lists...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by me+he&she=three View Post
    I didn't mean they just wander around the classroom aimlessly - not sure if that's how it came across LOL but they do constantly move around the classroom working on different projects either at tables or on the floor etc (ie they don't sit in a seat for the entire day listening to the teacher talk which is what happens in a traditional classroom setting) I took the OP question to be can they transition easily between a Monti classroom to traditional setting not Monti preschool to Monti school
    Um not all traditional schools have the teacher talking and a child in a seat all day, there are some great public schools these days with open-plan learning, programs that engage, and lots of play-based learning too in the early years especially. Times have certainly changed. Ok i am biased as I have a background in teaching. As for us, I will research into other theories of learning, perhaps even buy some of the learning kits to do on the side, but our child will go to a public or a Catholic school. I don't see the point of spending so much money at this stage to be honest... I think good schooling comes down partly to the parents, how you will support the teacher and the work they bring home etc... good luck =)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to minniemarta For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (14-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    That's a good idea. Have you been to the pre-school for a tour? or put her name down yet? I have heard there are waiting lists...
    I have to admit I haven't done either. I didn't think we'd still be living in this area when DD was old enough for kindergarten. From what I've heard I'm probably far too late to put her on the list. From the sounds of things you need to get your child's name on the list pretty much straight after they're born!

The irritating thing is that most Montessori primary schools won't consider children who haven't been to a Montessori pre-school (which is fair enough given their pedagogy), so if we miss out on the pre-school there's little chance DD can do Montessori school after that.

I agree with what Minnimarta says to a great extent. Primary schools have adopted a great deal of the theory that was previously considered alternative, such as Montessori and Steiner. They continue to incorporate current education theory to improve their curricula as well. While I would love DD to do Montessori, or failing that International Baccalaureate (I have friends in primary and secondary education who agree IB is a great system), I won't consider it detrimental to her long-term learning to go to a normal primary school. It's also a lot cheaper and considering how dirt-poor we are it may end up our only viable option (Karingal Primary is affordable but pre-school is very pricey).