+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stay at Home mum wanting to start business from home

Hi everyone,

I am a stay at home mum of my 4 month old daughter. I am currently on maternity leave but As I want to be the one to raise my daughter I am not wanting to return. I am looking at starting my own business selling women's and children's clothing from home and at the markets, that way I am still at home with bubs. I have idea's of what I want to sell (styles), a name for the business and where I want to sell. I am just unsure on how to get started, where to buy products, what abn I need or any other information.

Have any stay at home mums done this before? Or anyone that would have information would be great!

Thank you

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I havent but am thinking about starting a business too..for the same reasons!

The goverment business website is really helpful. Has how to start a small business, or home business, and a business plan template and things to think about before starting. I found it helpful

http://www.business.gov.au/Howtoguid...s/default.aspx

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! I will have a look

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure there are a lot of mums out there that would love to do this. I'm one!

I gave myself up until the end of my paid maternity leave to come up with 'something'. (I've had heaps of business ideas in the past but none that were realistic/do-able.)
    And I did.
    Cloth books for babies!

Now my new goal is to build the business up so that it can pay for our weekly rent. That's a LOT of books! And yes I have a time limit. If I can't do it within that time I will have to rethink and possibly go back to 'work'.

So one of my suggestions would be to have a clear defined goal to be achieved within a certain time-frame.

I have an ABN - they are easy enough to get.

Also, check out your competition via google.

And as for buying mass-produced products, I've never bought from them but I have looked at Aliexpress and Alibaba... (I hand-make my own products.)

Good luck! I hope that you are successful!
    Last edited by debsch; 13-12-2013 at 14:51. Reason: heaps of TYPOS!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

lel  (14-12-2013),MrsHoward  (15-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi OP, I definitely don't want to put you off, but every mum I've ever met wants to or has actually started done kind of home-based business, as it's very ideal for mums obviously So my no.1 advice is research research research! It's very doable if you're committed but it's also very competitive out there these days and you need to be sure you stand out from the crowd

running a website is a lot of work too and start looking into SEO now as I found it expensive and whole you can do it yourself if you'reInternet/tech savvy it's a lot of work and daily commitment.

No advice regarding sourcing the clothing... There are sites like Alibaba but they supply only in large quantities. Yeah not really sure.

But I do recommend doing research (of similar businesses, setting up websites and facebook stores, SEO, how and what people buy online etc.) first before jumping in and registering a domain name etc. While it seems ideal running a business from home it can be a lot of work and take over your life also. BUT it can and does work great for so many mums out there and you have every chance of success! Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

lel  (14-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lel View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am a stay at home mum of my 4 month old daughter. I am currently on maternity leave but As I want to be the one to raise my daughter I am not wanting to return. I am looking at starting my own business selling women's and children's clothing from home and at the markets, that way I am still at home with bubs. I have idea's of what I want to sell (styles), a name for the business and where I want to sell. I am just unsure on how to get started, where to buy products, what abn I need or any other information.

Have any stay at home mums done this before? Or anyone that would have information would be great!

Thank you
    Really? I work full time, not from home and still consider myself to be raising my son.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (14-12-2013),kw123  (30-01-2014),lel  (14-12-2013),MoonMoon  (14-12-2013),Pearl Barley  (30-01-2014),Purple Lily  (14-12-2013),SummerFun  (14-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I did not mean to offend anyone, I just meant that I want to be the one at home with her everyday instead of having in daycare for me to return to work fulltime.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lel For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-12-2013),Ellewood  (14-12-2013),MrsHoward  (15-12-2013),Purple Lily  (14-12-2013)

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lel View Post
    Sorry I did not mean to offend anyone, I just meant that I want to be the one at home with her everyday instead of having in daycare for me to return to work fulltime.

Me too ! until bub gets a bit older anyway. Id ideally only like to put her in daycare when she is 3 ..or maybe its preschool by then? Not sure...sorry to hijack ur post!
    I know how u feel

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHoward For This Useful Post:

lel  (16-12-2013)