+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pretty rad to be a dad

It's great, I'm sure it is!

I saw this story last night on the project (briefly I admit) and while of course it's great that these dads are so passionate, I must admit I was perplexed. There's no support for dads out there? Bubhub is a parenting forum, I know of a few others, none of which exclude men. I'm sorry boys but if you feel that way then who's to blame? If you don't participate (and every time I've seen a dad post on here he has got loads of support so there's no real excuse(?)) and talk to each other about parenting like the rest of us then who's to blame? And before anyone says the old 'it's hard for men' line, we are talking about a dads forum here (and I know if plenty of other (opinion/chat) forums where men are major participants).

It just made me wonder what this guy's motives really are. He talked about 'mum forums' but nothing for dads.... But I don't see that - correct me if I'm wrong but bubhub is a parenting forum, not mum-biased but pregnancy, baby and parenting focused, men are welcome here? (Sorry bubhub speaking on your behalf there but it's just what I see). How is it anti-dads?

Just thought it was interesting, and that dad didn't really look hard enough (or is seeking celebrity?).
    Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmm I don't really agree with you. I see your point, but places like bubhub are very female-dominated. I know there is a dads section and guys are welcome, but it's kinda like putting a 1-page girls section in Playboy and saying its female friendly (no offense bubhub, love you!).

I think increasing resources for dads is a great thing, even if stuff does already exist. Obviously these guys don't feel comfortable with what's out there at the moment. Maybe having resources that are a bit more geared towards a male target market will help break down some of those barriers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

wilding  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Hmm I don't really agree with you. I see your point, but places like bubhub are very female-dominated. I know there is a dads section and guys are welcome, but it's kinda like putting a 1-page girls section in Playboy and saying its female friendly (no offense bubhub, love you!).
    Do you really think it compares?

Its female-dominated I agree, that's my point!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I think increasing resources for dads is a great thing, even if stuff does already exist. Obviously these guys don't feel comfortable with what's out there at the moment. Maybe having resources that are a bit more geared towards a male target market will help break down some of those barriers.
    I do agree, but I think the resources would be out there if dads were more incluned to meet the demand. It's a male-dominated media and still very much a mans world! Of men wanted it (look at all the sport media-time out there!), pretty sure it would exist by now. I'm not dissing men, many of my favourite people are men but I'm simply pointing out done hopocrysies maybe(?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I don't think it's really a fair direct comparison but it illustrates my point.

I agree that there's a behaviour component, men need to seek the help in order to generate the resources.

While the media is full of male-oriented sports etc, that just perpetuates the stereotype - it doesn't provide a forum for guys to talk about parenting issues, it discourages it.

I don't know if I'm making sense lol!

I haven't seen their film, but the more the merrier I say. If more men did what they're doing it might encourage others to start using the resources more.

Jeez I'm really struggling to make sense today!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're making perfect sense and good points!

I have stuff to add but a bit busy right now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol thanks! Work stress + poor sleep + all-day morning sickness = foggy brain!