+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nepean Public Hospital Good or Bad experience?

I'm a FTM due in March. I'm currently booked in at Nepean for the birth, but I've read a lot of bad things re people's birth experiences there, so I'm debating between staying there or transferring to Hawkesbury Hospital which is closer to us anyway. I'm specifically interested to know things like are the staff at Nepean supportive of a natural/active birth, is water birth an option there, are the rooms nice, do the staff respect your birth płan wishes like skin to skin and breastfeeding ASAP etc? Any help would be much appreciated! TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi I had my DD at nepean 3.5 years ago. I had no real problems with them. I was aiming for a natural birth but ended up with an epidural. Have you done a hospital tour yet? Each labour room does have a big corner bath and shower but they don't allow you to actually birth in there, just labour in it. Breastfeeding wise I didn't find them very helpful as the first nurse who showed me was pressing DD's head and as she was a vaccum extraction it caused her some pain. Also when I was buzzing for help at night it took them 15-20 mins to get there, the call bells were ringing non stop. I have done some work at hawkesbury and the wards there are much quieter. I left the morning after DD was born and was put in their midwife at home program which meant I could sleep in my own bed and the midwife came to check up on us a few times. If you have any other questions let me know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by dangrybirds View Post
    I'm a FTM due in March. I'm currently booked in at Nepean for the birth, but I've read a lot of bad things re people's birth experiences there, so I'm debating between staying there or transferring to Hawkesbury Hospital which is closer to us anyway. I'm specifically interested to know things like are the staff at Nepean supportive of a natural/active birth, is water birth an option there, are the rooms nice, do the staff respect your birth płan wishes like skin to skin and breastfeeding ASAP etc? Any help would be much appreciated! TIA
    Hi, I've had both of my boys at Nepean. In 2009 and early 2013.

First I was induced, the experience wasn't great, I had to be monitored so couldn't be active. I had no drugs and the midwives were all helpful. I had skin to skin and they helped me to bf straight away. We had trouble with his latch and they helped me until I left and the home midwife kept coming to see me for 6 weeks until she was sure that we were breastfeeding with no trouble.

Second time I was allowed to be active. They didn't push me to do anything. The whole experience was great. I didn't need help with feeding.

Both times I got to relax in delivery after and then went to my room later.

I suggest that you try and get put on caseload as that is one thing I wasn't happy with. I had a few different midwives for appts and felt like I had to start from the beginning every time. My friends were on caseload and had the same midwife throughout, they attended the birth and saw them after they went home.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DD at Hawkesbury 3 weeks ago. I had a wonderful experience. I had an active labour, midwifes very supportive, but hands off which is what I wanted. We delayed clamping the cord, had skin to skin and first feed about an hour after birth.
    I did all my antenatal appointments at the midwife clinic. Yes I saw quite a few different ones but I was fine with that and was nice in a way because once I was on the ward I found I'd met quite a few of them already. Also I never waited more than 15 minutes for my appointment.
    I was public and scored a private room too.
    So I highly recommend Hawkesbury but I know they fill up very quickly so you need to be fast.
    All the best with your pregnancy.

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013
    Last edited by GreenMoon; 12-12-2013 at 17:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dangrybirds View Post
    I had my daughter at Nepean in Feb this year and they were pretty good! I had 2 midwives during my labour, the first was fine to me but was pretty rude to my mum, but thankfully the one who was in for the majority of my labour was amazing. She encouraged me to do whatever I needed to do, walking, lying in the bath, sitting or lying. She was very firm with me when I started to go a but crazy after sucking too much gas. I found they were pretty good at trying to talk me into not having too many interventions. I ended up having to have an emergency c-section after all as bubs heart rate was dropping, and there was a medication error with the surgery but they were incredibly apologetic, checked on me constantly and the lady who made the mistake came and personally apologized to my husband and I the next day. They were ok with breastfeeding but each midwife taught me different things so I did have some attachment issues, but that was quickly sorted out by the home midwifery program.

Regarding the rooms, they're clean, tidy and pretty spacious. The TVs in the birthing suite are the only ones in the hospital that are free ;-) It's a hospital room at the end of the day so they're not beautiful but it's comfortable enough.

As tadpoles suggested, try to get into the caseload program (ask about it at your first appt at the hospital), my best friend did it and 3 months down the track, the midwife still calls her every few weeks to see how she's going!

I'd be happy to have my next baby at Nepean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all the replies. Because I've had a high risk pregnancy due to a history of mc, I haven't been seeing midwives but doctors at the Nepean Clinical School. I would have much preferred midwives but don't get a choice given my history, and its the same If I go to Hawkesbury, I will have to go through an OB not the midwives. I have booked a Doula for the birth who's also a breastfeeding consultant so I'm not as worried about the breastfeeding assistance from the midwives, as ill have the doula there to help. I'm hoping to do the hospital tour this Sun, and hopefully that will help me to decide!