+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What to do with a sick toddler

DS had that high fever since Sunday (think it was Sunday) and then he was better by Tuesday and I thought we were clear, however after daycare yesterday he's now developed a horrible cough and a runny nose poor little man.

It's summer for goodness sake!! Aren't kids supposed to get sick LESS?

Anyway I am keepin him home today but what do you normally do with your sick toddlers?

Do I let him lie on the couch and watch TV?
    Take him to playground?

Is not bad for them to be running round a playground when sick? He's quite an active little guy. Or do I just stay home and get him out in the garden? Even though there isn't much to do?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    This type of thing really irks me, why would you take a sick child anywhere especially a playground while he is sick where he can make other children sick that is not fair on others and really inconsiderate. Keep your sick child at home and do home based activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with pp. You can't take a sick child to daycare as the child might infect other kids. So why would you allow them to go to a playground where they can infect other kids?

Home based activities will have to do until the child is better. DVDs, playdoh, books, dress ups, dancing, gardening, drawing etc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    This type of thing really irks me, why would you take a sick child anywhere especially a playground while he is sick where he can make other children sick that is not fair on others and really inconsiderate. Keep your sick child at home and do home based activities.
    Umm excuse me? You don't have to be rude!! If you're going to be rude then don't reply. Simple.

Anyway, the playground I am referring to never has any other kids there. And that's exactly why I was asking the question, I'm trying to find out what is best and what other mums do.

I have seen hundreds of sick kids out and about, mine wouldn't be the first or last.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't take him anywhere- he needs rest! His little body is trying to heal

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SHAELEEJANE For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely keep the toddler home. Watch tv, read books etc. if he's not well he will probably want to rest anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know the age of your DS, but if still in a pram - pop him in there and go for a walk.

Otherwise just stay at home - lots of inside activities and games

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DD is sick I keep her at home as much as possible. She usually doesn't want to do much if she's feeling rubbish anyway. Lots of wiggles DVDs, books, inside toys and cuddles. If its a nice day I take her for a long walk in the pram (which is great when she's all stuffy because she usually falls asleep, given that she sleeps so badly lying flat when she has a bad cold).

I would consider going to a quiet park where there are not likely to be other kids if she was feeling up to it, but only if it was just a cold - anything like gastro, flu etc I would keep her home.

Hope your DS gets better soon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not being rude just starting the obvious its common sense really and unless your child is not going to touch a thing in the playground then he can still make others sick. What happens when your sick child who has touched his nose then touches playground equipment or coughs or sneezes on it then after you go I come along with my child who touches that same playground equipment, that is how germs and sicknesses are spread. Just because other parents are inconsiderate doesn't mean you should be to, maybe if they hadn't taken their sick child out then yours might not be sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    Not being rude just starting the obvious its common sense really and unless your child is not going to touch a thing in the playground then he can still make others sick. What happens when your sick child who has touched his nose then touches playground equipment or coughs or sneezes on it then after you go I come along with my child who touches that same playground equipment, that is how germs and sicknesses are spread. Just because other parents are inconsiderate doesn't mean you should be to, maybe if they hadn't taken their sick child out then yours might not be sick.
    Firstly I never said I WAS taking him, I ASKED what other mums do! I have a very active toddler and our garden sometimes just doesn't cut it! The playground is mostly empty and that's why I was asking.

Your response came across very rude.

I was merely asking for suggestions, and I know how germs are spread, but like I said, no other kids ever go there.

Anyway thanks to everyone else who offered helpful suggestions.