+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TV viewing and toddlers

I think my parents have created a monster of a problem for me.
    So they're staying with me, and although thankful they are helping me I cant but feel they are instilling in DD some really atrocious habits.
    This morning she woke up really early, when we eventually got to the living room she demanded I turn the tv on. I am not against tv viewing but I dont know if I agree with her watching tv in the morning, is it bad? is it ok?
    Then they have the tv on ALL DAY LONG, it never goes off even when no one is watching it, usually I would only watch tv maybe a couple hours a day with a purpose (a show I like or the news).
    I admit my husband is just as bad, as soon as he walks in the tv is on, so everyone around DD just watches tv way too much... I dont know if I should make it a point to schedule tv viewing for her or if I should let it go and hopefully when theyre gone she'll revert to my habit of watching less tv.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have habit of putting tv on first thing and all day and my son has no interest in the TV at all. If he did, I would definitely limit the useage but it should be up to you what hours you prefer to let them watch it. My mum never let me watch tv in mornings as it was time to focus on getting ready for school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS watches far too much TV. It's the only way I can keep him out of the kitchen while I'm trying to prepare breakfast and get ready for the day.

He's 2.5 and our tv always seems to be on. I hate it! But being 34 weeks pregnant it is just helping me out a bit.

I try and put it off and take DS outside on days he's not in daycare.

Right now he's sick, so he will most likely be staying at home with me today and it will be on all day again as I don't know what to do when he's sick

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The tv here is on pretty much all day and is always on ABC4Kids. Sounds terrible huh? DD will only stop and watch a few of her favourite shows, but mainly it's on for background noise. I like to leave it on the kids channel as it then stops ME from sitting in front of it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblu11 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it becomes more of a problem if the child likes to sit there glued to the screen. If it's on in the background and they pay little attention then I think it's not so bad. Obviously it's not optimal to have it on non-stop all day though.

My DS doesn't tend to watch TV that way, he is usually all over the place playing with toys or running into the other rooms to do random toddler stuff.

We used to have TV on a fair bit during the day, not anymore. DH looks after DS in the day and they will watch a little bit in the morning over the breakfast period, then the TV gets turned off for most of the day and they have the radio playing in the background. It's great, because it encourages everyone to occupy themselves in different ways.