+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default 1 year old behaviour management

My DD is almost 1 and at the moment she is into everything! She spends all day doing the following:
    - playing with blinds and blind chords
    - climbing up onto back of couch and trying to jump off
    - climbing onto TV stand
    - trying to reach electrical sockets and take off security covers.

I wouldn't mind if she was just being adventurous but when I try and initiate other games and activities she's not interested, just wants to do the above things, and then I have to keep physically pulling her off/ away to which she has a full tantrum (throwing herself backwards, screaming etc). I've tried ignoring but I can't really because she might hurt herself. I usually pull her off, tell her NO firmly and ignore the tantrum but it doesn't make her stop. I also give lots of positive reinforcement if I see her doing the right thing but maybe she's too young to understand.

Anyway sorry for the long post, I guess I'm just looking for ideas on how to get her to stop. Our house is tiny so moving her play area away from the blinds/TV etc is impossible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing because I'm having the same issue with my 13 month old!

The tantys start much younger than I expected they would!!! You'd think he was being beaten, he screams so loud :-\

Thanks
    Reviews
    At this age the easiest thing to do is to child proof the house or take your child out, so that you don't need to spend most of your day trying to get her out of trouble. As the child gets older they will be able to understand the rules better, but at 1 year old, not only they don't understand danger but they also have a very short memory. You could try teaching one thing at a time, like child proofing everything else and focusing on the power points for instance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with starfish. At 1 my DS was far too young to understand boundaries/consequences etc. It wasn't until he was about 20 months that he started to get those things. At 1 the only thing I could was to childproof the house really well. Once I did this I was able to relax more.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow do you have a clone if my dd living with you? Ohh the tantrums! Head Thrown back and whaling style! The other day I took my eyes off her for maybe 40 secs... Found her on the couch and trying to climb up the edge, nearly had a frecking heart attack!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe it's a girl thing as I'm totally shocked DD has started throwing tantrums too. She is 11 months. DS started around 2 years old.

All you can do is distraction and childproof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with everyone else - distraction and childproof as best as possible. We have all our blinds and cords pulled up as our 13mth old loves to play with them, and have covered our electrical sockets as best as possible. Is there a room in the house that can be completely baby proofed so that you can take her in there to distract her? Otherwise, taking my DS outside works well to calm both me and him down!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for all the replies I'm as shocked as the rest of you about the tantrums! I didn't expect them to start so early, I'm constantly mortified, the neighbours must wonder what the heck is going on over here! It looks like extreme baby proofing is the answer, I've been nagging DH to get it all sorted for months, hopefully this weekend, I can't take one more day of basically being on suicide watch with a 1 year old

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dd just turned 1 and whoa nelly the tanty's are huge!

It kinda makes me laugh tho cause she is so little and so angry about it haha.

She's always pressing every on off button she can get too upsetting her brothers by touching all their stuff.

Trying to kill herself by eating everything uneatable and choking etc.

Funny buggers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope I'm not the only one who laughs at the tantys!!!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (11-12-2013)