+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rental house inspection question

I've just had my quarterly house inspection and something happened that really made me feel very uncomfortable. We live in an old farm house in rural queensland. And we have been in the house for nearly 4 years. Today the agent decided to have a look into my walk in pantry. He has never fine it before. And I asked him why was he going in there for. He has never done it before. I told him I felt it was breaching my privacy. He told me he can go wherever he wanted to. I said yes but not through my cupboards. Am I within my rights to object to him looking through my kitchen cupboards?

On another note he spends nearly an hour here and when he goes to my sisters house which is right next door he is only there for 15 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It does sound a bit strange, especially that he was there for an hour! That is excessive. Is this the same person that always does the inspections?
    Unfortunately looking in the cupboards can be justified as they need to check for things like mould, vermin, water damage etc. However it would be common courtesy to ask you before diving in!
    If you feel this is a serious problem you could speak to the principal of the agency he works for, and if no joy speak to the REI in your state.
    I guess it's weighing up whether it's worth complaining and getting them off side. Agents can be very odd, I deal with them every day in my job as I manage the offices for a national company. Some are good but some are totally incompetent, and others are just *****es lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a small town so the agents principal is his father and the clerk is his mother. It's always the same guy who comes around. I think an hour is excessive too. Thank you for replying. It really has made me feel very uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Nearly an hour? how come it took so long? Mine comes in, walks briefly into each room, I point out the same wear and tear, 10 mins later max, he's gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are you in? Quarterly inspections sounds like a lot! Most states prevent agents from inspecting any more than 6 monthly.
    Consumer affairs/the ombudsman in your state is also a great resource, they're always very nice and give good, accurate advice on your options.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rhee1980 For This Useful Post:

Msbecb  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in qld where 3 monthly inspections are normal.

More than an hour here but next door less than 15 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In NSW you are allowed 4 routine inspections per year, he does have the right to look in pantries/cupboards but he didn't have to be an *** about it!

What was he doing for the hour? If he comes every 3 months it is weird it took that long?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Msbecb  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps the owner wants the house valued to market and that's why he took longer to look at everything? Still odd though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rhee1980 For This Useful Post:

Msbecb  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post

What was he doing for the hour? If he comes every 3 months it is weird it took that long?
    Yeah I don't understand even at once or twice a year inspections it shouldn't take that long. He must of had the magnifying glass out looking at skirting boards and checking each drawer for dust.

He sounds like a d*ck to me...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Msbecb  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I was under the impression that looking in cupboards was a breach?
    I think in situations like this it's best to contact your local tenancy advocacy service. They can you give you the best advice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Msbecb  (11-12-2013)