+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Im going to phase this into our family in the coming years. Bit hard at the moment with the generation before me insisting that every man and his fop to receive a personalised gift. Does my nut in wasting time and money on buying people crap they don't even want. I would much prefer to only buy for the kids and adults opt into secret Santa with a budget and list of options for their giftee.
    Yes we need to change our routine too. Particularly as the cost is becoming ridiculous! I wouldn't mind but we are literally pressured into it. We are the only married ones but everyone else has partners - some even have kids yet they don't buy because they aren't married apparently.. Unfortunately being married doesn't make us any richer!

I like the secret Santa ideas! It will save me big $$ and stress because to be honest its becoming a bit much. Particularly as I'd rather spend the extra money on our own little one next year rather than adults who don't care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On my side of the family we only buy for my parents and DS (hes the only grandchild). I used to buy presents for my 2 siblings and their partners, but seeing as they don't buy us anything in return we stopped buying for them as it was a waste of money in the end.

On my partners side they do a secret santa between his parents and siblings so everyone gets one big present of a max of $250 worth, so everyone gets what they would like. And we all buy a pressie for his niece and they buy something for DS. They also do kk's for the extended family too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LilCritter View Post
    Yes we need to change our routine too. Particularly as the cost is becoming ridiculous! I wouldn't mind but we are literally pressured into it. We are the only married ones but everyone else has partners - some even have kids yet they don't buy because they aren't married apparently.. Unfortunately being married doesn't make us any richer!

I like the secret Santa ideas! It will save me big $$ and stress because to be honest its becoming a bit much. Particularly as I'd rather spend the extra money on our own little one next year rather than adults who don't care.
    Yep I'm waiting for a Christmas to host at our house and them bam! New world order people

I think most family members feel the same way but the vocal few keep dominating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On my side we only have one child (our ds) and the adults do a kk with a $100 limit. We all buy for ds. On my husband's side, there are 13 nieces/nephews/cousins/grand kids and we all buy for them. Some adults do gifts for each other (some of dh's siblings do gifts for his parents and his mum usually buys gifts for her daughters and their partners - the sons and their partners miss out lol) it's a weird family!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used to do all this crazy gift giving stuff, buying for every member of the family and even the random girlfriend/ boyfriend, only on hubbys side of the family, not mine (( most of them were interstate). It was getting so annoying, and so expensive, even if I kept the gift to $10 to $20. I was suggesting stopping this for many years, and it fell on deaf ears because some adults wanted to keep getting gifts. It took one unfortunate misunderstanding, and my hubby said no more, and it magically stopped right there. From then on each family bought for their own family, and that was it. Now with my own family, I buy gifts for the grand children, and vouchers for the adults. It is all about the kids, and everyone seems to be happy about that. Marie.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

LilCritter  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a huge family- I'm one of 6 kids and between us we have 17 children, so over the years we've been cutting back on Christmas gifts. In my family, my parents still buy for everyone, and we give them gifts, but otherwise we don't buy for siblings or their spouses or their children. Saves a HUGE expense and getting lots more stuff that we really don't need. DH's family is still big on gifts so we buy for them (but they have a much smaller family!).
    Some of my cousins still give us small homemade gifts like chutney or relish or baked goods like biscuits, but it's not done out of obligation or expectation!

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We do a fun thing at DHs families house. They all get together for Christmas - he has 10 aunties and uncles and 30 cousins (not including partners)

We all buy a gift each (partners buy 2) to the value of $20-30. It can be whatever!! We all put them in a pile and put our name on a piece of paper and then it get pulled out. You choose your gift. The twist is if you like someone else's gift you can choose to take their gift or take one out of the pile.

It's funny because there's always one awesome gift that everyone wants and it usually gets passed around and around.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    Lost our little squirt 20/11/13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think its very fair if your the only one who is expected to buy presents for your cousins. In my family we stopped presents for cousins once we were 18.

I bought a present last year for my cousins child as it was the first christmas and she was the only child around but I probably won't keep that up. On my side of the family we buy for parents, grandparents and my 2 siblings but I have even had the talk with siblings that we should re think this as we only seem to be buying gift cards for each other.

My DH family used to have kris kringle but mum still wanted to buy for everyone so we only buy for his parents and nieces and nephews.

Its tough but it starts to get to big if you include extended family and as you say they don't really appreciate the gift. It might be better to suggest an opt in kris kringle for the cousins

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    On my side of the family (3 sisters & 3 brothers all with a minimum of 2 kids each) we only buy for the kids and set a limit of $30. I always buy my mum & dad something and i'll get my grandparents a box of chocolates and some scratchies.

My DP's side of the family (he has 2 sisters with no kids) we do a Secret Santa with a limit of $50.00 with the whole family, cousins, aunts etc. For immediate family we buy something for his mum and dad and I usually get something small for his sisters, but not over the top expensive. They buy for our daughter so I tell them not to worry about us.

I LOVE christmas but I think it's really all about the kids. Nothing makes me happier than seeing their smiling faces opening pressies so i'd rather the $$ be spent there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My extended family does a Kris Kringle $20 present. Everyone over 18 is included in this. Names are drawn out of a hat in late November so there's lots of time to shop. Those of us with kids usually buy for each other's kids. Usually spending about $20 per child - there are only 7 kids at the moment so it's not too bad.

DH doesn't see his extended family but is one of 4 siblings, all of whom have partners and kids. So we do a $50 Kris Kringle for the adults in the family and everyone buys for the kids. As the kids are nephews and nieces, as opposed to cousins' kids, we usually spend $50 per child. My immediate family has the same arrangement.

All up, we buy for 6 adults and 11 kids, plus each other and our two children. It's a lot but it's also a lot better than it was a few years ago before all the Kris Kringle stuff came into play.