+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Family Christmas - something's gotta change!

Ok I'm not sure if pregnancy has temporarily turned me into a sourpuss but I genuinely adore Christmas! This year I have suffered hyperemisis from 7 weeks & it's still going so I've had to stop working because I can't cope right now.

So we are down to one income & I'm simply too sick to go overboard this christmas & buy up on gifts because I can't walk around the shops. Here's my issue with the gift giving of Christmas that is really driving me nuts...

On my side of the family the aunties buy the gifts & put my grown up cousins names on the gift tags too. As we are married & I live on my own with my husband it's assumed that we now buy our own gifts for everyone. I'm totally fine with buying for my aunties & my grandparents because they are the ones putting effort into gifts too. Personally, I just don't see the point in us spreading ourselves so thin to buy something for my cousins in their late 20s who also live with their girlfriends & basically toss whatever you give them aside anyways because they have enough money to buy their own things..

Ok my vent is over - I just want to know what other families do with gift giving, especially with extended family? I think we need a solution because I find it silly that we are all adults now but just cousins alone adds 9 extras for us to buy for whom aren't bothered or don't show up at a last minutes notice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by LilCritter View Post
    Ok I'm not sure if pregnancy has temporarily turned me into a sourpuss but I genuinely adore Christmas! This year I have suffered hyperemisis from 7 weeks & it's still going so I've had to stop working because I can't cope right now.

So we are down to one income & I'm simply too sick to go overboard this christmas & buy up on gifts because I can't walk around the shops. Here's my issue with the gift giving of Christmas that is really driving me nuts...

On my side of the family the aunties buy the gifts & put my grown up cousins names on the gift tags too. As we are married & I live on my own with my husband it's assumed that we now buy our own gifts for everyone. I'm totally fine with buying for my aunties & my grandparents because they are the ones putting effort into gifts too. Personally, I just don't see the point in us spreading ourselves so thin to buy something for my cousins in their late 20s who also live with their girlfriends & basically toss whatever you give them aside anyways because they have enough money to buy their own things..

Ok my vent is over - I just want to know what other families do with gift giving, especially with extended family? I think we need a solution because I find it silly that we are all adults now but just cousins alone adds 9 extras for us to buy for whom aren't bothered or don't show up at a last minutes notice.
    I wouldn't buy for them but if you absolutely have to get them a $2 scratches in a card. Other than go for something homemade or a tin of biscuits/wafers.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-12-2013),dancingchipmunk  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We buy only for our parents, siblings and grandparents. We used to get a family present from some of my aunties but it was something like a box of favorites or shortbread. Now I think mum buys a small gift just for them now that all the kids on both sides have left home. But then we don't spend time at Christmas with my extended family anymore(since my grandmother passed). We see dh extended family but they don't do gifts past that either. I think they used to give give to nieces an nephews until 10?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Of forgot to say what we do.
    We buy a gift for my parents and my brother and sister. His dad gets a photo of the kids ( lives interstate). I wrap some tins of biscuit if we get a unexpected visitors but that it. DH siblings get nothing and aunt and uncles, cousin etc get nothing. That is just plain crazy. I have 54 cousins and dh has another 60.

Edit our fake grandma get something.
    Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We only buy for parents, used to buy for siblings too, but now they have kids we buy for them instead. So this year we had to buy for 8 people, easy. Nothing over $50.

I do ALL my Christmas shopping online.

If there is extended family coming and will be present during opening presents I buy some novelty $2 toys such as a bubble thing or water pistol so they have something to open

You need to start setting clear boundaries, it sounds ridiculous buying for grown up cousins! In sure they feel the same too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a very large extended family (over 30 first cousins) plus aunties, uncles, cousins kids etc. Our Christmases are easily over 50ppl. We do a Kris Kringle. Whoever hosts Christmas is in charge of organising it and sending out the list. You buy one gift of around $50 value for the person you have been allocated. That way everyone gets one decent gift rather than a whole bunch of crap and no one has to spend too much money. Works well for us. I still buy gifts for each member of my immediate family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do a Kris Kringle (names pulled out of a hat at random) for extended family. That way we only need to buy one present. Children under 16 are the exception, they still get gifts from everyone.Christmas is a lot less hassle since we started doing this, makes life easier for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We buy for our parents and nieces and nephews. For the rest of the family we do Secret Santa. So the in-laws side of the family catch up, my MIL organises the Secret Santa for whoever is attending. For my family side, whoever is hosting the Christmas do organises the Secret Santa for whoever is attending.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do a secret Santa for our immediate family, and set a limit of $100 so you can still buy something nice but not go crazy.

Extended family, the rule is only little kids get presents. I normally buy vouchers for the teens but adults we don't bother, we can all buy our own stuff so we'd rather just all bring some nice drinks to Christmas lunch.

ETA. We basically just spoil the kids and make the day about them as far as presents go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    We do a secret Santa for our immediate family, and set a limit of $100 so you can still buy something nice but not go crazy.

Extended family, the rule is only little kids get presents. I normally buy vouchers for the teens but adults we don't bother, we can all buy our own stuff so we'd rather just all bring some nice drinks to Christmas lunch.

ETA. We basically just spoil the kids and make the day about them as far as presents go.
    Im going to phase this into our family in the coming years. Bit hard at the moment with the generation before me insisting that every man and his fop to receive a personalised gift. Does my nut in wasting time and money on buying people crap they don't even want. I would much prefer to only buy for the kids and adults opt into secret Santa with a budget and list of options for their giftee.