+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Dad & son play

I've just sent this article to DP, as I've been thinking a lot lately about how he plays with DS. They tend to do construction type things, or sports based things, and DP does very little imaginative/ traditionally more feminine play with him. I think it's really cementing for DS what is 'real' boy's play and it worries me. It's not DP's fault, he just plays what he likes and is comfortable playing. Was interested in how other dads play with their sons- is it predominantly more 'masculine' activities or is your other half more in touch with his inner tea party hostess?

http://www.playunlimited.org.au/2013...oy-harm-child/

Thanks
    Reviews
    My BIL decorated cupcakes with his DS for Christmas but otherwise it's more masculine games most of the time. My DH has said if we have a DD he will play trucks with her the same as his nephews but I think the more feminine play will be down to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We dont have a son as yet, but I have found that my DH does tend to play more traditionally "male" games with DD. He plays cars with her and recently brought her (more himself) some teenage mutant ninja turtle toys. Having said that he will also play games with her like pretend cooking or with people figurines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My Dh has always played with whatever the kids want to play. He has eaten more mud pies than real ones
    At the moment our house is all about guitars as ds3 (18 mths) is obsessed with them.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not entirely sure regarding DS's Dad as he doesn't live here but from what I see he is very affectionate and not a rough-and-tumble type player and like me, talks and plays imaginatively with DS (trains, cars, his teddy with story lines kind of thing). I always send books with DS too and when I ask if he read them he says yes.

My brothers also do more of the imaginative type play with DS. My older brother plays trains with him and both have in-depth conversations with DS and ask him tricky questions to get him thinking.

Funnily enough, I'm the action parent! But I am just that way myself. I got DS lots of imaginative play stuff for Christmas though so I can do that stuff with him more often (and sit down!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS loves rough and tumble play with his Dad, Loves wrestling, jumping on him, bouncing on the tramp together, wheelbarrow rides in the backyard.
    But they also do other stuff, reading stories, gardening, playing guitars together and lots of pretend play.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH plays building, fixing the house, plastering, drilling, screwing nails in the floor, playing with trucks and rough play. DS sees DH do all these things too.

Can't wait to get that stroller and baby, think I'll chuck in a tea set for good measure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now that I am picturing it DH rarely plays games with toys with either of the kids. He plays lots of wrestling,chasing type games and gets them involved in whatever he is doing around the house (read gives them tools to help him do work with),he reads them books, kicks balls in the backyard etc but not much actual playing with toys or imaginary type play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DP does video games, sporting type things, etc with DD... and I do a lot of girly things... cooking, nail-painting, watching movies, colouring etc.

Maybe it's a matter of ingrained sexism, but I just find these things easier to do with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems to be a theme running through these comments. Sarcasm isn't directed at anyone here, however I'm still smarting at being lambasted for my thoughts on the toys thread. Why do you think your husbands play these types of games with your children? Because they were given gender specific toys as children, so now they're only capable of this type of behavior, or is it something much deeper? Is it really sexism, or just a natural instinctive behavior pattern?

I think it's known what I think. And, I'm not talking about every. single. man. I'm talking about the majority of men. Most men like huntin, fishin, and rootin. I'm embarrassed to say it, really I am, but I think they actually do. They might like other things too, but when it comes right down to it, this is where it begins.

Does anyone dare to agree? I know it is NOT politically correct or even socially acceptable to say such things, but there you go, I've said it.