+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sickness and breast feeding

I'm not sick, just wondering for future reference but is there any sickness you could have where you wouldn't breast feed as it would make bub sick? Like flu or Gastro for example?
    I figure you might not feel like bf'ing if you were sick but would it make the LO sick?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. If you have gastro, it's best to keep feeding as it gives bub the antibodies that your body is making which can help protect them from catching it. You do have to make sure you keep hydrated and wash your hands thoroughly etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's actually better to bf when sick as bub gets your antibodies from your milk and so they have an extra defence in fighting the infection?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The only time I'd stop due to illness was if I had to take a medication not safe with bf- but most are or there are alternatives that are.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had a bout of ghastro while breastfeeding my then 3mth old. i was put in hospital overnight on iv (i was dehydratated), and given an anit nausia tablet which worked wonders and was safe for bub while bfing. my bub was in a baby bassenette (like the ones new babies are put in) next to my bed. The nurses got him for me through the night when he needed feeding and encouraged it as it exposes the bug and he will work up an immunity. Breastmilk is full of anitbodies and is sooo good for them, even if you are sick! Luckily my baby never got it. The rest of my family did a week later though!
    i hope you dont have to go through this though, it really does suck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (11-12-2013)