+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tessa27 View Post
    I have very recently had to go through this. At my scan the NT was measured at 5mm - very high and higher than yours. I was completely shocked and very very scared as my risk was 1:6 for Trisomy 21 and high risk for 13 & 18. I went straight to the CVS knowing I needed to know what we were dealing with and the decisions that had to be made.

The CVS itself is not incredibly painful (mine was abdominal) but can be very uncomfortable at times. I researched and read as much as I could and it seems everyone's experience is different. As I was lying on the bed, I sent positive and calming thoughts to the baby to stay still and we'll be ok.

I received my FISH results (rapid results) the next day and was cleared for 21, 13, 18 and X,Y chromosomal syndromes. My full results took two weeks and this can vary depending on how long it takes to grow the placental cells. After this I was then referred to a scan focusing on the heart at 16 weeks, as it is the next cause of high NT, and again got the all clear. I am now 18 weeks and will have the morphology scan just after christmas.

It is tough, my motto was 'just keep going'. It is hard and I wish you nothing but strong, positive thoughts.
    Thank you. I also wish you nothing but strong positive thoughts. We were also advised to have another scan at 15 weeks to solely check for heart complications even if our FISH and full results come back clear.
    I just don't know if I'll be able to relax or enjoy this pregnancy when even if I "pass" each phase, there is another and another hurdle to jump.
    I know it could be far far worse and for that I am eternally grateful but scared and my mind is going at 100's or miles per hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    At 12 weeks I had a nt of 7.5mm giving me a DS risk of 1:5. CVS at 14 weeks, done abdominally and it was uncomfortable with minor cramping afterwards. FISH test came back with only 1 sex chromosome (XO) which meant I was having a girl with turners syndrome. When we got the full results back it appeared that the chromosome problem was only in the trophoblast layer of the placenta and we were having a normal boy. 18 weeks we had an amnio to clarify the results and they were normal too. As a PP mentioned the next biggest reason for a high nt is cardiac problems so we had foetal echocardiogram at 20 weeks and back again at 24 weeks before we got the all clear. DS1 is now a very normal 3.5 year old.
    What a roller coaster for you. Glad your DS is all healthy and well. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Where did you have the foetal echocardiogram?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ReBeCcA7 View Post
    Thank you. I also wish you nothing but strong positive thoughts. We were also advised to have another scan at 15 weeks to solely check for heart complications even if our FISH and full results come back clear.
    I just don't know if I'll be able to relax or enjoy this pregnancy when even if I "pass" each phase, there is another and another hurdle to jump.
    I know it could be far far worse and for that I am eternally grateful but scared and my mind is going at 100's or miles per hour.
    I also am in that position of 'will I ever be able to relax?'. But as I reach closer to being half-way through this pregnancy and I have only just told people I am pregnant, I have made a very conscious decision to relax and start enjoying myself as a pregnant woman. This is my first and I am sad that it happened to me - but it happens - and sometimes we are thrown things we didn't expect. No pregnancy is without worry, some women fall pregnant easy, some do not, some women have easy pregnancies, some do not, some women have easy births, others do not, and others have healthy babies and some do not.

Be prepared, informed, have the knowledge you need and want and know that it positive thoughts are important and 'just keep going'.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tessa27 For This Useful Post:

ReBeCcA7  (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tessa27 View Post
    I also am in that position of 'will I ever be able to relax?'. But as I reach closer to being half-way through this pregnancy and I have only just told people I am pregnant, I have made a very conscious decision to relax and start enjoying myself as a pregnant woman. This is my first and I am sad that it happened to me - but it happens - and sometimes we are thrown things we didn't expect. No pregnancy is without worry, some women fall pregnant easy, some do not, some women have easy pregnancies, some do not, some women have easy births, others do not, and others have healthy babies and some do not.

Be prepared, informed, have the knowledge you need and want and know that it positive thoughts are important and 'just keep going'.
    Thank you so much. You've adopted such a good attitude towards it all. One step at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ReBeCcA7 View Post
    What a roller coaster for you. Glad your DS is all healthy and well. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Where did you have the foetal echocardiogram?
    I had mine at the Royal Women's in Melbourne. My SIL had hers at king Edward memorial in Perth (their first daughter had undiagnosed truncus arteries is).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

ReBeCcA7  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

Just thought I'd update. Had the CVS yesterday. Boy what a scary ordeal! I'm a little uncomfortable but so far no bleeding or fluid loss so fingers crossed all is ok.

We weren't supposed to get our results til Monday for FISH but our Obs called the lab for us and called us this morning to tell us our baby doesn't have Trisomy 13,18 or 21 and is a girl.

We feel a sense of relief but also know that there are a couple more hurdles to cross in the coming weeks.

Thank you all for your replies. It really did help us learn more about what's to come.

Xxx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ReBeCcA7 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Glad things are going well. Make sure you take it easy for a couple of days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Delighted for you x