+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone had a CVS? Positive stories please!

So I just had my NT scan and Nuchal Fold is measuring 3.5 which is borderline high risk increasing risk of down syndrome to 20%. On top of this, the baby was on its belly and therefore hard to see its face and nasal bone hard to detect increasing possible further risk. We were recommended either to have a CVS (1% risk of miscarriage but can be done this week) or Amnio (.5% risk of miscarriage but can't be done for 2 weeks but likely to be longer due to Xmas and new year).

We have booked a CVS for Friday and am so frightened and sad. I don't know anyone that has had to have either so am just wondering if you've had one, how it went; and also if your results were 3.5 or greater and still had a healthy preg.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A friend had the same measurement of around 3.5 for her first pregnancy, she had the CVS and everything was fine. She now has a healthy 3yo DD.

Good luck, I hope the tests come back all clear and bub is just fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    A friend had the same measurement of around 3.5 for her first pregnancy, she had the CVS and everything was fine. She now has a healthy 3yo DD.

Good luck, I hope the tests come back all clear and bub is just fine.
    That's good to hear. It's so frightening. I hope my outcome is the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister had a cvs a couple of weeks ago, she is fine and bub is perfect. I'm TTC at the moment and all also need a cvs should we be successful, I'm not really worried.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustUsTwo View Post
    My sister had a cvs a couple of weeks ago, she is fine and bub is perfect. I'm TTC at the moment and all also need a cvs should we be successful, I'm not really worried.
    Good luck!
    Thank you! Glad your sister is ok. Good luck TTC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Almost a year to the date I had a cvs due to the NT scan, I didn't want to wait, needed to know one way or another.

Anyway the odds are 1% but in actual fact it can be less than that, the dr who did mine hasn't had any miscarriages occur.

Anyway it was an easy process and thankfully 3 days later we had the provisional results that we were having a healthy baby girl.

Wishing you all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had two in successive pregnancies. One was good news.... Now that bub is 10 months old happy and healthy.The other was not good news.
    But you asked for positive stories (sorry!) so don't worry, the actual procedure is not as bad as you think.
    It's a very strange sensation and is a bit uncomfortable. There's a small bit that hurts when they get deeper down but you are made numb ( mostly) and it's over very quickly. Just relax and I tried to concentrate on my hubby and that helped a lot.

Good luck it's a very difficult time but I'm sure everything will be fine. It's such a rare occurrence to have a fetal abnormality and with a CVS it's done early enough that you have more options available to you in a worst case scenario.

Don't stress they are quite experienced at these things these days and as PP mentioned the risk of miscarriage is often less than 1%

Once again good luck xxxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's ok. I appreciate honest stories as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have very recently had to go through this. At my scan the NT was measured at 5mm - very high and higher than yours. I was completely shocked and very very scared as my risk was 1:6 for Trisomy 21 and high risk for 13 & 18. I went straight to the CVS knowing I needed to know what we were dealing with and the decisions that had to be made.

The CVS itself is not incredibly painful (mine was abdominal) but can be very uncomfortable at times. I researched and read as much as I could and it seems everyone's experience is different. As I was lying on the bed, I sent positive and calming thoughts to the baby to stay still and we'll be ok.

I received my FISH results (rapid results) the next day and was cleared for 21, 13, 18 and X,Y chromosomal syndromes. My full results took two weeks and this can vary depending on how long it takes to grow the placental cells. After this I was then referred to a scan focusing on the heart at 16 weeks, as it is the next cause of high NT, and again got the all clear. I am now 18 weeks and will have the morphology scan just after christmas.

It is tough, my motto was 'just keep going'. It is hard and I wish you nothing but strong, positive thoughts.
    Last edited by tessa27; 10-12-2013 at 20:12. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 12 weeks I had a nt of 7.5mm giving me a DS risk of 1:5. CVS at 14 weeks, done abdominally and it was uncomfortable with minor cramping afterwards. FISH test came back with only 1 sex chromosome (XO) which meant I was having a girl with turners syndrome. When we got the full results back it appeared that the chromosome problem was only in the trophoblast layer of the placenta and we were having a normal boy. 18 weeks we had an amnio to clarify the results and they were normal too. As a PP mentioned the next biggest reason for a high nt is cardiac problems so we had foetal echocardiogram at 20 weeks and back again at 24 weeks before we got the all clear. DS1 is now a very normal 3.5 year old.