+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st pregnancy- excited, worried, expecting the worst...

So that's a small selection of emotions I am feeling at the moment. It’s my first pregnancy, I am 31, nearly 6 weeks pregnant and very excited. It is a much wanted pregnancy and I am blessed with a wonderful husband who is also over the moon.

I just don't know if how I am feeling overall is normal though. On top of the feeling of excitement I am also somehow convinced that something might go wrong. So much so, that I have intentionally kept myself quite cool, calm and collected about the entire thing, not getting too emotionally attached and being prepared to make hard decisions if I have to.

I swing between feels of exhilaration and excitement to being almost convinced that that something will be wrong with the baby…. so much so that I have already talked to my husband about what we would do if this was the case. There is no family history or logical reason for me to think this way- it is totally irrational. I don’t feel stressed or anxious, just very matter-of-fact.

I think some of my fear and worry stems from a traumatic family event that happened a couple of years ago out of the blue. Since then, I convince myself that terrible things obviously can and will happen (e.g. have developed a fear of flying since then, despite having travelled the world previously).

Is it normal to be this worried for a first time pregnancy? I am a very realistic and practical person so I am aware that the risk is very low but at the same time, preparing myself for bad news. Anyone else feel/felt this way???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely normal, I don't think there is a mother out there who hasn't had those thoughts cross their minds.

Try not to let the anxiety overtake the joy!

Good luck x.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

hangingupsidedown  (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jellyfishie, it's reassuring to know I am not the only one and not going crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hangingupsidedown View Post
    Thanks Jellyfishie, it's reassuring to know I am not the only one and not going crazy!
    You are definitely not the only one! Our first too, I'm scared to get excited until we get scans showing it's really there and ok! Doesn't help that I'm generally impatient. The next 6 days til the scan are going to be so hard!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rhee1980 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep feel the same way. Did with my first and now with my 2nd.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I am SO SO SO glad this forum exists, I feel better knowing I am not the only one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in pretty much the exact same positions as you: 29, 6 weeks pregnant and totally unsure how to process this emotionally! We only found out yesterday and I have spent pretty much the whole day reading everything I can, which just serves to make me realise how much I don't know and how much of the advise is conflicting.

I hope we both struggle through and get to enjoying this wonderful gift.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LuvLoz For This Useful Post:

hangingupsidedown  (14-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, so normal. I'm newly pregnant with my second, but third pregnancy as we lost a little one last year at 9 weeks. I'm so excited but cautious too. When I feel anxious I just try to think that there is absolutely nothing I can do, fate is out of my hands. Just enjoy the pregnancy as much as possible and deal with everything as it comes you know? Right now you are pregnant and healthy and everything is fine, so enjoy it as much as possible and try to stay positive that everything will turn out perfectly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

LuvLoz  (15-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely normal! There is so much pressure on a first pregnancy (I think) because you analyse everything that you feel and feel anxious over possibilities which may not even occur. I guess the good thing about the way you feel, is when you get the all clear at 13 weeks it will feel like you've just found out because there is pretty much no more need for reservations. Either way please do try to relax and enjoy what you and your body is going through because it's an amazing thing!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopefaithbelieve For This Useful Post:

hangingupsidedown  (15-12-2013),LuvLoz  (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's so normal. From the minute I peed on the stick I fluctuated between excitement and worry.
    Once I got to 12ws I did worry a lot less, when you see that perfectly formed little person on the scan but still worried occasionally.
    Once I started feeling her move I worried even less ( until there's a day when she didn't move much).
    You will worry on and off the whole pregnancy and no doubt you'll worry once he or she is born... Has she fed enough, is she warm enough, why is she crying?
    Welcome to motherhood! It's a world of worry ( but totally normal!)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

hangingupsidedown  (15-12-2013)