+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting prep in a mixed grade

My dd is starting prep next yr. I was really hoping she would be in a straight prep class but they have put her and 7 other preps in a mixed prep grade 1 class. This worries me a bit Im not sure if she will miss out on some of the prep lessons or if there will be more pressure on her to 'perform' at a higher level.Has anyone had their prep start in a mixed grade? and how did they cope? My dd is confident and eager to learn but Im not sure about mixed classes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My Grade 1 child was put into a composite grade 1/2 class and I also had the same concern.

I was assured by the teacher that the separate grades have their own curriculum to abide by.

It ended up working well for us. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

hansmum  (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She will be fine! They do have their own set of curriculum, and you will find that the mix will work very well indeed ie. there will be a classroom with a mixture of abilities not just a set age - I have worked as a primary teacher in a Prep/Grade 1 class

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Composite classes are great. I have only ever taught composite classes. Yes, each year level has their own curriculum to follow, and that can be tricky planning wise (I will have 4-7 next year!), but you have to remember that not all students within a single year level are working precisely within that level anyway. So, for example, in my class next year I have a year 7 working at a year 2 level, a year 5 at a year 7 level and another at a year 3 level. It's about knowing your students well and adjusting the learning tasks to ensure success for each student. Although I admit this isn't such an issue at Prep/1.

What is great about a composite class at that age group is that the types of organizational skills/behaviour expectations etc can be modeled by the older students, and this generally means more time for dedicated teaching and less time needed on 'coming to school' skills. It also gives opportunities for younger more able kids to be extended. I wouldn't worry about it, but it's always good to share your concerns with her teacher rather than worrying at home about it :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I had concerns about this for my year 1 son this year. He has done ok throughout the year. They had a prep/yr 1 composite and all the preppies seemed happy as they also went and spent a lot of time with the other preps.

Next year my son will be in another 1/2 class. Hoping he gets the same teacher tbh.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app