+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys, you're totally right. I am completely comfortable with her being angry at me...she is a lot of the time anyway lol. The nights can't be any harder than they already are anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I know you don't want to CIO but I think it's time to get a bit tougher with her. I think it's fine to lie down next to her, and if she tries to get up say 'no, sleep time' an lie her back down. If she screams it is not because she's distressed it's because she's having a tantrum. No more feeding, no more almond milk. It will be hellish but she's not a baby any more and if you stay with her you can be confident that she's not distressed, just pi$$ed with you, lol.
    Yep this. My DS was doing this a while back, he's 23 months now and Fearless gave me very similar advice. A tantrum is different to distress. We had to ride it out a bit and it was tough ( I work full time and understand how distressing it is for bub to wake when you know you need to be up in a few hours) but he eventually got the message. This is an age I think where they really do learn to push a few boundaries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel for you! DD is 2 and has started protesting bedtime and waking at night again. I'm 8wks pregnant and it's exhausting!!

I stayed at tresillian twice when DD was a baby mostly for feeding issues. I saw quite a few toddlers with sleep issues while I was there and the approach was different depending on age and what the problem was. They often used a technique where a parent sat next to the bed and just calmly repeated "it's bed time" and then didn't engage at all. Each time they did it the parent would sit further away until eventually they could just put bub to bed and leave the room. Something like that might work for you. In my experience they didn't do CIO but for older kids they do let them protest for a certain amount of time.

It's worth a phone call, you don't have to follow the advice if it doesn't feel right for you. I think you do need to get tough though, I know what it's like when you feel desperate but offering her play/food/attention just reinforces the behaviour. Parenting sucks sometimes!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    his pattern is so similar to my now 18month od son. he did the same at abut 15 months. I believe there is a sleep regression at 16 moth,not that it helps to solve the problem.
    he will sometimes still wake and scream. just scream. nothing helps sometimes a breastfeed will.
    I have begun to introduce a new sleep association. when I put him down at night I put on lullabys.(we have a bedtime toy that plays them and you select the time you want) by 3 year old loves it. now when he wakes in the early morning I cuddle say bedtime just like I did ealier put on the songs, rub his back and it has been helping to cue him back to sleep. When he is screaming it has helped soothe him faster.

i have also started to transition him to one sleep a day.
    hang in there, good luck I hope you find it settles soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp. cut out the milk, just give her water in a sippy cup, no more stimulation. It sounds like she is just overtired. My DD did this and for a while I would have to lay down and just hold her in a firm hug. She would kick and scream cos she wanted to get up but then she would just pass out after about 10 min. Mind you she is now 3 and has started waking in the night again and trying up come into our bed...not happy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing for ideas - we are going through something similar with our 13mth old. I have been up since 1am with him tonight (its now 3am). A combination of 12mth needles, ear infection, and molars started this I think (though he's been a pretty rubbish sleeper for a while). So frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is exactly the same. At 16 months she just went feral haha. Stopped sleeping through the night, hysterical crying when it was bedtime (night or day). And i mean hysterical. She would get so worked up she would start choking on her own tongue. The only way we could get her to sleep was by sitting next to her cot and sneaking out once she was asleep. Though then she would wake up during the night and freak out that we werent there and we'd start again. We went away camping on the weekend and she slept through the night - woke up once each night but could see us there so went back to sleep.

Today i tried just leaving the door open and funnily enough she went straight to sleep and slept for 2hrs this morning (normally she's on one nap a day but given she was up at 430am she needed a morning nap). Tried it again this arvo and she's been asleep for 2.5hrs! She hasn't slept this long for almost 3 weeks!