+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stumped by this sleep issue and feeling desperate

This could be long as I am exhausted! I should preface by saying we won't do CIO.

DD (16 months) has always been a rubbish sleeper. It has been continuous ups and downs since she was born but I'd say things have never stayed "good" for longer than a couple of weeks. Actually that would be pushing it. Every time we think we've cracked it something changes. Even if we are consistent to the minute with timings she is just a different kid every week.

Anyway our latest problem is that she is waking for long periods in the night. This started a couple of weeks ago and I am at a loss. I've stopped feeding her to sleep as I am 14 weeks pregnant, milk has dried up significantly and I am over it. This went surprisingly well and now DP or I can put her to sleep which is great. We read, sing etc. she eventually lays down and sleeps.

Some nights she will wake after 2/3 hours but go back to sleep instantly after a quick comfort suck. Some nights she will sleep through until her early wake up which can be anywhere from 3-5am. She doesn't want to be up. She wants to be asleep but won't sleep. She breastfeeds, she has a drink of almond milk, we read, she plays with my phone. She will lay quietly and I think she's almost asleep and then she will crack it and get hysterical again. She is completely exhausted and I don't know what to do. She won't sleep if I bring her into bed with me. If I take off her sleeping bag to get up she completely loses it. It's clear she wants to still be sleeping. It really doesn't seem like she's in pain.

The clincher is that after finally getting her back to sleep after 2 hours she only sleeps for another 40 mins. So for example last night she fell asleep at about 7:40pm after going into her room at 6:30pm with DP. She woke at 2:45am and it was 1.5 hours of me trying all of the above before I burst into tears and DP came in. He walked her around the house for a while, offered her a snack which she didn't want, and after 15 minutes of her wailing I put her back on the breast and she calmed, I laid down with her in her bed and she fell asleep (on the breast) after 10 minutes. This was about 4:45am. She then woke again at 5:20am.

DP has taken her out for a walk a few mornings and she has slept for a couple of hours but obviously we can't do that every day and it's not a solution.

I am hoping that just like all of her other sleep issues it will pass over time but this is seriously sucking the life out of all of us and I have no idea what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd try and keep her awake a bit longer in the evenings. 6.30pm is a little early for bed. Can you stretch it out for another hour to maybe 7.30? I know easier said than done, but it sounds like your DD isn't really tired enough for bed

Also I would ditch the phone and books so early in the mornings. Dark is for sleeping, day is for play! My DD2 was a horrible sleeper too, but we set strict day/night activities and that seemed to work for us. Over stimulation can be a big thing I think

Good Luck
    Last edited by Cicho; 10-12-2013 at 05:36.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would not be reading or letting her play with the phone in the middle of the night. I would simply tuck her in and walk out or lay next to her and pay no attention to her otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've only been taking her into her room at 6:30 because it takes her over an hour to get to sleep. She always used to go to sleep at 7:30 after a quick feed easy. Then it started taking forever for her to fall asleep and she wasn't going to sleep until 8:30-9pm. And still waking up at 5am with at least one wake up during the night. She is definitely tired

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know the phone is bad. I am desperate and exhausted. If I walk out she goes hysterical and if I just lay next to her she gets out of bed and gets books herself. I do this plenty. She just keeps wandering around crying because she is tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    I know the phone is bad. I am desperate and exhausted. If I walk out she goes hysterical and if I just lay next to her she gets out of bed and gets books herself. I do this plenty. She just keeps wandering around crying because she is tired.
    I think you just have to be firm and say no to the books. It can't get any worse. She will soon get the message.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I should add when I say "reading" it is just her looking at her books. It is completely dark still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's stimulating her.

Maybe give tresilian a call?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think you just have to be firm and say no to the books. It can't get any worse. She will soon get the message.
    You're right. I hate hearing her so distressed though and at 4am all the good plans I've made during the day seem to go out the window and I just want to do whatever keeps her quiet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    What about some calm relaxing music on low like baby motzart? That always used to calm DS2 when he did similar in the middle of the night...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (10-12-2013),GreenMama  (10-12-2013)