+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The meridian rear facing markers are at about 37cm for bum to shoulder height. Infa are 36cm. Works out to an average 12 month old or a small 3 yo. In saying that I have seen a 4 year old rf in one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again. I'll definitely have a look at the Infasecure seats. I'll take my tape measure along and compare the height markers.

It's frustrating how many seats are not CREP rated. I know the CREP testing isn't perfect, but it's the only independent testing consumers have to compare performance. The CHOICE reviews for car restraints ar really out of date. I wish CREP were given more resources so that all new models were tested and results available when they hit the market. I also wish the ratings/scores were shown on the seats or packaging so you could compare them at the store, much like white goods show the power and water efficiency ratings and cars show fuel efficiency.

Thanks again to all that took time to reply.
    Last edited by clbj; 11-12-2013 at 03:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Thanks again. I'll definitely have a look at the Infasecure seats. I'll take my tape measure along and compare the height markers.

It's frustrating how many seats are not CREP rated. I know the CREP testing isn't perfect, but it's the only independent testing consumers have to compare performance. The CHOICE reviews for car restraints ar really out of date. I wish CREP were given more resources so that all new models were tested and results available when they hit the market. I also wish the ratings/scores were shown on the seats or packaging so you could compare them at the store, much like white goods show the power and water efficiency ratings and cars show fuel efficiency.

Thanks again to all that took time to reply.
    Personally I don't use crep. You can have the safest seat in the world but if you can't get a good, tight install it's not going to be as safe as something with less stars. And I saw that a booster that just has to be sat on the backseat (non tethered) only got 2/5 - what's not easy about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a really good point.

I called the Kidsafe office in my state. They asked me about our cars, type of driving we do and our circumstances (how many children, number and height of other passengers, budget etc), then made suggestions on a few different models to check out that should suit us. They will install it for us.

Kidsafe seems like a good service. They don't sell the restraints, they install them into cars and are involved in research/education about child safety, so I felt that they are probably less biased and better trained than staff from the retailers/manufacturers or advertising material. They also offer a service where they check seats that are already fitted, so no doubt also get plenty of feedback from people already using the seats.

The only possible conflict of interest would be that the Kidsafe service receives some sponsorship from Britax, but the person I spoke to readily suggested a number of different seats from different manufacturers that would suit our circumstances, a few pros and cons of each and suggested that we check them out and before deciding. This was helpful as we don't live very close to baby shops, so it's good to have done the research before making the trip to a store.

They mentioned the size of the current Meridian/Platinum models, hence we were wondering how other people with medium sized cars felt after having used them for a while. The Infasecure seats were/are on the list to check out, but the main thing that put me off them originally is that the A2 seats have no CREP protection rating. The A1 seat did well in the more recent tests, so hopefully the A2 seats will too when they eventually get tested. Yes, the CREP testing is not perfect but at least CREP have observed how the product performs in a (simulated) accident, unlike staff in baby shops where we have received plenty of dubious advice on a number of topics.

It will be good to check all these car seats out with the benefit of the feedback here, so thanks for taking time to reply. Hopefully it's useful to someone else if the find the thread
    Last edited by clbj; 11-12-2013 at 23:17.