+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default HELP!!! Nappy change time battles....mum and bubs in tears

My 10 month old dd has become a nightmare to clean and change since becoming mobile. She will not lay down or sit still and fights me the whole way. I hate it so much (especially when there is poo involved it becomes a s... fight) and I have to be quite rough with her at times because she might harm herself by falling off the change table.

Getting her in her pjs and bag is just awful and is part of our bedtime ritual but now she is just so wound up so it's impossible to settle her down to sleep this way anymore.

I have tried changing her on the floor but it's not any better cos it kills my back and she runs off with poo everywhere.

I have tried distraction with toys and her blankie but she just throws them.

It always ends in tears (me too usually) and we go through this 5-6 times a day. I often leave her in dirty clothes or ger pjs cos it's just so hard.

HELP!!! Any tips advice or she'll grow our of it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What worked for me was to change DS in the bathroom. I'd shut the door so he couldn't run too far and switched to nappy pants instead of normal nappies. He eventually got the hang of standing still (holding onto the bath) and letting me change him standing up. We do the same when getting dressed.

Nappy pants are much more expensive but if you wait until they are half price (usually once a month one of the big 2 supermarkets have a special) and buy in bulk they're more reasonable. That way they're around $8 for 25.

ETA he is much better now he's older, no more screaming and tears it just took a little while for him to realise getting changed standing up was fun!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was having issues with dd and sitting still... Turns out it was the wipes I was using! I have no idea why, but the must have been irritating her some how.
    They were sold out one day so had to get a different brand, and bobs your uncle she sat still and was fine about it????
    Kids are strange creatures some times

Hope you find something that helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl (12 months) has been like this since 5 months old- nightmare!! Nappy pants all the way! They are usually $10 for 32 at Chemist Warehouse! Poo-ey nappies are still challenging, but much easier than with normal nappies!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds2 was like this after only 6months of age.

Swapping to nappy pants worked better for us in that I could get a nappy on him, but we still had issues with wiping his butt.

Usually I'd give him something he wasn't allowed to touch (eg my mobile), with all the bright lights he'd be entertained for a little bit whilst I did the mad dash to clean him up before he got wiggly again.

Sorry to say but my fella has never grown out of it.. But he has other good points (eg champion sleeper) so I let the nappy issue slide a bit.

But agree with you, it's a PITA!

Edit: I also sang his favourite nursery rhyme over and over again to keep him still.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Change them on your lap. Talk or sing the whole time. Tell her what you doing. Make it funny. Make funny noises and stinky faces. Make it a fun thing. Tickle her when your finished to reassure that this a fun thing to do.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (09-12-2013),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same issue, because my daughter wanted to be moving.
    The things which worked best for me were staying CALM, playing peekaboo whilst changing (get her to pull her shirt over her head, etc), give her something she could never have any other time (like my phone), talking her through what I was doing and asking for her help.

I tried changing her standing/sitting etc., but couldn't manage it with the cloth nappies I was using. She has mostly grown out of it as she's gotten older and knows what's expected (now 14 months), and will often go and lay down calmly when I ask her to. There were still plenty of occasions where it was a battle though.

Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my DD's went thru this and came out the other side.

I kept a sheet of cheapy stickers handy and would stick a few on their hands and arms. Peeling them on & off & on & off would usually give me the couple of moments i needed to change heir nappy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. Unfortunately I use cloth nappies otherwise I'd be going for the nappy pants!! I gave her my keys last change as she was poopy lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2yr old DS still does this at times. When all else fails I strap him in, our change mat has a strap and buckle.

He does not approve! I then explain that if he lies still I can undo the strap and we can quickly change the nappy and go back to playing.

We often do clothing changes on my lap though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post: