+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default advice for a one-off nap situation

Hi Ladies,

I'm overseas at the moment and staying with an elderly relative who's just told me that in a couple of days time there's going to be some construction works so they're going to cut ALL the utilities in the area for just the one day. No gas, electricity, water or heating!! I've got an 18 month old, so I've decided to book us into a hotel for the day.

Situation is this: he's never been the type to nap on the go, won't ever nap in his pram, so he's almost always had his naps in his cot at home. But the hotel doesn't have a portable cot, so he will have to have his nap in a bed for the first time ever...

Am just thinking it might be fairly disastrous!!! Any ideas what I can do to give him the best shot at having a good nap??

I will be taking his sleeping bag and his nightnight rabbit, but... I know this sounds dumb, even if I follow the same pre-nap routine, will he even know that he's supposed to go to sleep?? And what should I do? He's a sleep trained bub, so I usually put him in his cot and walk out the door and he goes to sleep by himself. But if it's just a hotel room, should I what... go hide in the bathroom? HAHa And of course I'm a bit worried he'll fall off the bed, so I guess people would say for once stuff the SIDS guidelines and put pillows around him?

There's a pool at the hotel so I'm going to take him swimming in the morning to make sure he's freaking exhausted come nap time... Any other suggestions on what I can do? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you just dim the lights, give him his sleep buddies and lay with him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, just wear him out!
    Good luck! It's tough when travelling.. Just remember, tomorrow's another day (only thing that keeps me same when they miss a nap!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you not take your own portable cot?

ETA; If that isn't an option, I wouldn't worry too much and would do as misskitty suggested and lay on the bed with him.
    Last edited by RobinSparkles; 08-12-2013 at 23:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Can you just dim the lights, give him his sleep buddies and lay with him?
    This is what I would do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Swimming is a brilliant idea, he'll probably be so exhausted he'll fall asleep anywhere. But yes I would just follow the sleep routine and lay down with him.
    DD likes her space so you might find him tossing away from you just keep an eye out for him falling out of bed otherwise put pillows around him once he's asleep and stay in the room... watch tv or read a book, just coz he's not used to the dimensions of the bed if he's never slept in one he will probably rolly polly off.
    Dont stress too much you've got a solid plan by the sounds of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe see if there is a baby equipment hire company close to the hotel, they might even deliver a cot there for you on the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's just one day. Why don't you just go with the flow and not fret about sticking with routine for a day? Go out, have fun, keep busy. If he's tired he will crash, no matter where you are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

SHAELEEJANE  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp, don't stress about being out of routine for a day. If you really want him to have the nap or of you think he really needs it, just lie down next to him on the bed.

I would be inclined to put pillows on the floor around the bed rather than next to him though.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You could tuck the pillows under the fitted sheet, it creates a speed bump, they'd have to get a big roll up to make it over!