+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What age for a toddler bed

DS2 is 16 months he walks, climbs (though not out of his cot) and pretty much gets into everything if the child locks aren't in place. All the bubs in his playgroup have moved into a toddler bed and keep asking me when I am going to put him in one. I think if he went in one and woke up without waking me he could get into all kinds of mischief and he still sleeps in a grobag so him just getting out of bed could be a problem. What age have all your kids gone into toddler beds? I can't remember the exact age of my older 2 but they were at least 2 I am pretty sure

2. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

twocan  (09-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is two and I have no plans at this stage to put him into a bed. He doesn't climb much anyway and doesn't climb out of his cot. I don't think we will do any transition until he either starts climbing out of his cot or maybe when he's three. I don't see any reason to rush unless they start climbing out and it becomes a safety hazard or they get too big for the cot/want to be in a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My son was 3 when he moved. Moved him at 26 months and it was a disaster, so changed him back to his cot. I don't see the rush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DS1 was 19 months old when we moved him into his toddler bed. I would have left him in his cot except we needed it for DS2, and I wanted to do the move before he arrived.

I think if you're happy having him in his cot, leave him there. But if you do want to move him, it might be fine. DS1 was still in a sleeping bag at that stage but was very good at walking around in it, so that wasn't an issue. He only fell out of bed on the first two nights, and when he got up, he would come straight into our room, he's never just wandered off to do his own thing. We also made sure that his room was safe, so during his day sleeps I would close his door and leave him to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both girls were 2.5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 21 months & still in his cot in his sleeping bag......but I need to think about making the change soon in time for bub #2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD started refusing to get in her cot a few months before turning 2. We converted it to a toddler bed and then got her a proper king single for her birthday. She usually gets up just after we put her to bed and mucks around in her room, reading her books and "tucking in" her toys. She then puts herself to bed when she's ready for sleep. We have a baby gate across her doorway otherwise she'd constantly come downstairs when she should be going to bed! We unlatch it when she's asleep so when she gets up in the morning she comes straight into our room to wake us up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    My son is two and I have no plans at this stage to put him into a bed. He doesn't climb much anyway and doesn't climb out of his cot. I don't think we will do any transition until he either starts climbing out of his cot or maybe when he's three. I don't see any reason to rush unless they start climbing out and it becomes a safety hazard or they get too big for the cot/want to be in a bed.
    Same here

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS went straight into a king single when he was 27 months and was fine. We had a couple of nights of him running out when we first put him down but that didn't last long. We used a bed rail and I also popped a spare mattress on the floor near the bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    Pretty much this for us too. I just take my cues from the child and go from there, so it's varied between my kids from 18 mths to 3 yrs so far.