+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help!!! What should I do to get toddler to bed

DS (27mths) had a really bad night last night. Was awake for 4hrs between midnight and 4am. Woke at 7.30am, would not have day nap. Fell asleep on the floor about 4.30pm and is still asleep on the floor now at 7pm. Has not had dinner or bath yet. What should I do?

Wake him and feed/bath.

Try and transfer him to bed (he'll probably wake though)

Let him sleep on the floor until he wakes then feed/bath and try and get him to sleep some time before midnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi a friendly bump- don't have any advice just curious to know what you chose to do....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (08-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes the old late afternoon nap.... I would put DS to bed, and if he woke up, I'd bath him and feed him but put him back to bed after an hour. Your DS has sleep to catch up on so (presumably) fall back to sleep again at normal bedtime.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (08-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have kept him busy and not let him sleep or woken him straight up to do early dinner bath and bed by 6. Ds is 2.5 and is refusing day sleeps completely at the moment which means he is really tired byvthe evening so we get dinner bath and bed done earlier and quickly and tonight he was tucked up fast asleep at 6.30. He will sleep until 8ish tomorrow morning. I keep afternoons busy so he stays happy and awake

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

candemum  (08-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot if toddlers go through this when they start dropping day naps - it only takes seconds for them to fall asleep of a late afternoon after a busy day and it's impossible to wake them! It's not a matter of not trying! Some days they just really still need that nap, and that's ok. DS has onetime s even fallen asleep at 4.40-5 and slept right through til morning!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (08-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up putting him in bed. He didn't wake, poor little bugger was so tired. He isn't a very big dinner eater anyway and had a decent lunch so the lack of food may not bother him. I'm just worried about him not getting a nappy change. He's not dirty but may leak through. Oh well will deal with that if it happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    A lot if toddlers go through this when they start dropping day naps - it only takes seconds for them to fall asleep of a late afternoon after a busy day and it's impossible to wake them! It's not a matter of not trying! Some days they just really still need that nap, and that's ok. DS has onetime s even fallen asleep at 4.40-5 and slept right through til morning!
    This is exactly what happened. He was watching tv and I was doing something came back and he was fast asleep. He still needs a day sleep, he was just overtired today and would not settle most days lately he's been having 2hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If they are in a deep sleep sometimes you can change them while they are asleep, I did that to DS a couple of times when he crashed in the car or something and would not wake up.