+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    In my experience the no kids thing has never been extended to little babies. Pretty much all the weddings I've been to over the years have babes in arms and I've taken all my kids to weddings when they were babies (toddlers, I'm happy to leave at home!!) It's a shame you have to stay home, OP but I'd be doing exactly the same thing in your circumstances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    She clearly has no kids of her own and has no idea what it would be like to try and organise logistics of having a breastfed infant looked after 7 hours away from your home.

I really cannot stand the `I'm the Bride it's my day and bugger everyone else' mindset. Under 6 months should absolutely be the exception to the no kids rule. I have never heard of a venue not allowing babies, what a load of nonsense.
    But it's an invitation, not an order. It's basically saying we'd love to have you there if you can make it. If its too hard to be there, so be it.

People are usually pretty understanding, especially when guests need to travel to attend.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (09-12-2013),peanutmonkey  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    But it's an invitation, not an order. It's basically saying we'd love to have you there if you can make it. If its too hard to be there, so be it.

People are usually pretty understanding, especially when guests need to travel to attend.
    Exactly! The only time I personally think it's ok to get cranky is if the bride/groom is cranky that you can not make it.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is true, it is an invite not an order. I have had no problems not going or worrying about going to weddings where babies were not welcome when I have had babies.

This person does not sound understanding at all, if I was hosting an event where people were travelling so far to attend I would assume they had to bring their kids, not many people have travelling baby sitters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hade no kids at my wedding with the exception of my cousin who travelled interstate, and two other babies who were only a few months old. For me I had no issues with babies, I just didn't want little kids running around.

Sounds a bit unreasonable to me but I guess it is the brides day. If it can't work for you I would just decline the invite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here. We had no children at our wedding - no exceptions. I realise it might seem harsh but you don't always know the real reasons behind it.

In our case, we had no children of our own and no nieces or nephews. DH also has a large extended family who can be overbearing to say the least. We copped a LOT of flack from them for our no kids policy as they expected us to invite all the kids, from babies to teens. We were getting nasty phone calls and 2 of DHs uncles stood over DH at another persons wedding and basically threatened him to reconsider.

To put this in perspective, we never see these kids, some of them are DHs second cousins and quite frankly I draw the line at 1st cousins as the numbers would get ridiculous. We were already at capacity for our venue and inviting kids would have meant another 30+ people and a different venue. My family on the other hand is small, and we all respect that people aren't made of money so numbers are always minimal.

If we had allowed even 1 baby, regardless of the reason, the fallout from DHs family would have been horrendous and quite possibly ruined the wedding (we had enough issues at the engagement party with DHs uncles insulting my dad and even at the wedding with one of them interrupting DHs speech!).

One of DHs groomsmen lived interstate and his wife had recently had a baby. We said no to the baby attending so his wife didn't come. I know it sounds harsh, but it's what we had to do. It was, after all, our wedding day - we wanted it as drama-free as possible. We also fully understood if someone couldn't attend due to children at home.

So I guess my point is, you don't necessarily know the reasons behind their position so I think their choice should be respected and I don't think it's fair to judge or try to punish them for it. When DD was a newbie I either didn't attend (and fully accepted that others don't have to accommodate me just because I have a baby) or made arrangements so I could go to some of the event.

Who knows, maybe she can't have kids and doesn't want to be reminded of that on her wedding day?

Good point....yes u dont always know the reasons.... For example... I was undergoing ivf when i got married...and it sucked.... and the absolute last thing i wanted on my wedding day was kids reminding me of the whole thing.... We had a no kids policy ( which my bil etc just ignored but meh) but we did have 2 babies attend ... Initially i cracked it when dh allowed the babies to attend cos of the above reason... But They werent my friends so couldnt have cared less if they came but they did and on the actual day it didnt bother me.... So yes sometimes the reasons might not be Bridezilla-esque but at the same time would a bride uninvite her bff if bff had a newborn.....doubt it..but..i really think its the bride and grooms discretion and really dont get why ppl get so annoyed about it...i miss out on plenty of social events since having kids cos events may not be appropriate for kids or its a hassle or its not a kid thing....its thier day thier money thier say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op, can you maybe still go on the trip with your partner, stay at a nice hotel, while he goes to the wedding, then the next day do something fun as a family? Make a little mini holiday of it?
    That way, he can still attend, you won't be stuck hours away, and it might turn out fun??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (08-12-2013)